Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Totally with you on this one. DoT rules require any compartment containing a propane bottle be unlocked. I store my fire pit 20 pound bottle in the truck bed.

I did not know this either Lou! Question on putting it in the bed. I read on another thread how someone had a grill in the bed of their truck and the on road vortex blew the grill out of the bed

How likely would this be for a 20# propane tank? Or how do you secure yours in your truck bed?

TIA!

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #12

Secure mine to the front tie down hook with a larger than necessary tie down to secure for even the worst case accident, with a cable lock attached for any such takers! Slow them down as long as I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I did not know this either Lou! Question on putting it in the bed. I read on another thread how someone had a grill in the bed of their truck and the on road vortex blew the grill out of the bed

How likely would this be for a 20# propane tank? Or how do you secure yours in your truck bed?
TIA!
Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Well yes, That is why they make tie down straps and the OEM has tie down points in the bed.

I see mentally challenged individuals driving with open beds and loose stuff flying out all the time. Then they are shocked when they get to the job site and all their siding/insulation/gloves/water cans/hard hats/"you name it" is all over the highway.

I once tried to take a short cut after I emptied my gas cans and because they "just" did not fit between the 5th wheel and the tail gate, the cans stayed in; but they were flying around pretty good. Luckily I spotted that before I drove more than a few hundred feet. Pulled over (again) and properly tied everything down.

While I doubt a 20 pound propane tank will get sucked out of the bed of the truck, would you want one bouncing down the road at your windshield if I had an accident? I think not...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #14

Propane Tank

I am in agreement with you Herk! I do a lot of walking for health situation and use the large shoulder of highway near me and I have recovered EVERYTHING others failed to adequately secure! Bungee cords, tie downs, orange traffic cone or two, even a bit of cash money! You name it and I have recovered it! Guaranteed that my stuff is going to remain MY STUFF!! Tied down and bungee cords a plenty on anything! Wife says I'm anal, but thus far nothing valuable lost in all my adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
propane, tank