Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Range Clearance

Hey Vibe owners! We recently returned from a great trip to Yellowstone with some friends of ours who own a Vibe, I believe it is a 28QBS. Beautiful coach by the way. One rainy morning while they were using all three burners on the range to cook sausage links, eggs, and coffee their range hood fan stopped working. Upon closer examination we found the clip holding the grease filter had melted causing one fan blade to also melt. We thought the outside vent was not opened so going outside to investigate it we found it on the ground and melted/warped. My friend mentioned he had open it the previous day anyway. All of this did not add up until we read the owners manual to the Suburban Range and found that the vertical clearance to a combustible surface should be 24 inches or 19 1/2 inches with a 1/4 inch space between the hood and combustible surface. The cabinet above the range is installed at approximately 18" above the range, the hood is attached with no clearance to the wooden cabinet.
Has anyone else had an issue with melting the grease filter clip, plastic fan, or vent flap? We are wondering if this is a recall issue based on fire safety. We would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

fire hazard

After 47 views, I guess a potential fire hazard is not a big deal. We could be way off on this but I thought it would be a good idea to ask others opinions. Our friends will bring this up to their dealer and show them the owners manual to the range and the clearance clause. We will see how this spins out. Thanks for all the views.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

I sorry nobody had anything to say. I have never had a problem like this but then we generally don't use our stove that much.
I didn't look up the clearances in the manual but did measure. Mine is 18" but the hood/vent is not directly over the burners, in fact the screen and vent fan are not directly over any part of the burners.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks

JK510, thank you so much for your reply. It is very curious that your vent is not directly over your range burners. Our friends configuration is 3 burners in a triangle shape where there are two in the back and one centered in the front. the front being a higher output. The grease filter of the hood is actually centered over the range not essentially over the burners, is yours this way?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

Mine is 3 burner as well, not sure but I think the center one is in the front, I'm away right now.
I should point out that I'm in a class A so there's a little more room to work with. The stove top is all the way to the front of the counter and the hood is against the wall. I have 6-8 inches between the wall and the stove top.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

I have never heard of a range hood melting and we do not have a range hood but had always wanted one. Sounds like it was like you said installed to close to the burners. I think it should be fixed under warranty.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote