Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #1

Storage Compartment

We bought a BedRug universal mat for our storage compartment that we cut to fit. It looks good, provides some padding and helps to prevent items from moving around. It can easily be removed for cleaning and then slide it back in. We have a Vibe 6503 and there was a big enough piece that was cut from the mat to be used for a ground mat when working under the trailer or tow vehicle. A little high in price but we are happy with it and think the mat was worth the cost.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

We removed our spare tire from the storage compartment and a rack was built to store the tire under the trailer in front of the axle between axle and fresh water tank. The weight is better distributed and allows more room and weight for the rear storage compartment.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

I really like the idea of placing the spare under the front! That weight would be much better suited up there than hanging out in the back box! May have to look at doing that on my 6504! Thanks for the incite!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

That idea for the spare tire sounds awesome, as does padding for the storage compartment.

Where did you have the holder for the spare tire fashioned? I'm not a very good DIYer.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

I got the idea from Bal "Hide A Spare". The frame they sell I thought would hang down to low so I made my own from some aluminum bars that I had. The ground clearance is 8 1/4" from the lowest part of the frame, the axle has 8" so I think it will be safe from hitting the ground.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

I'm just now becoming acquainted with the underside of my Vibe. I am particularly interested in how moving the tire could help with weight distribution. I learned about sway & loading the trailer correctly the hard way. My first time towing we picked a place pretty close, so we were able to make corrections at our first destination.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Think of a scale with a center pivoting point that center would be the axle. If you have to much weight in the rear of the trailer the trailer will have a greater chance of swaying. If you have to much weight in front it will bring the front end of your tow vehicle up and would be unsafe in steering. It to is better to have most weight low as possible to prevent trailer from being top heavy, trailer will be more stable. Hope this helps sure someone could explain it better but I gave it a try. Would like to add the spare tire weighs 65 lbs. and moving it front of the axle allows more room and weight for rear storage compartment.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

I agree with your comments! That 65 lbs is much better up front! Also allows you another 65 lbs in the rear via the offset. I have wondered since purchasing mine why they stuffed that tire in that compartment anyway! Very wise idea you have had by placing under the tongue. Now I am planning my next off season fix and get mine to the front. Many thanks for your insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Thanks for the explanation, I think you made a lot of sense!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #10

I really like the idea as well of moving the spare tire from the storage area. Flower are you able to post a picture of your DIY spare tire move? I had yet another "death sway" (on I81) on my way home from 1000 Islands KOA a couple days ago. I've really limited putting only "lighter" items in the storage area and putting heavier items in the bed of my tv.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #11

I am not that smart with computers, I will try to post a picture or get help in doing so. I have a picture on my iphone I think that may make it a little easier.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #12

I'd greatly appreciate seeing you're spare tire placement. I watched the video but seeing it on a Vibe already done would be great
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage