Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
3rd Generation RV lover

Sway bar/hitch essentials

Hello v-crossers! My husband and I purchased a new 2013 v-cross 28vrbk over the weekend. We will be picking it up in a few days and the dealer will be installing e2 sway bars at that time. This is our second TT. We got our first TT last summer and loved camping so we decided to go all in this year. The first was a Gulf Stream stream light that weighed almost nothing for a TT. The v-cross is a huge jump up for us in creature comforts as well as length and weight. We have a ford f150 fx2 super crew with a 145" wheelbase and trailer towing package. According to the owner's manual, it will tow 13990 lbs. We have been reading the v-cross forums about sway bars and weight distribution hitches. We are wondering whether the e2 balance bars are sufficient or whether we need a special hitch too. We don't put a lot of stock in what our sales guy said. He tried to tell us that the TT was only 28 ft and weighed 6500. He knew less than we did about construction, etc. from our research going in. We were hoping that the collective knowledge of the v-cross forum would know whether we should ask for additional equipment or alternative sway bars. We are taking the new v-cross from Austin to Big Bend in two weeks. we're in for a very long drive so we want to make sure we're well prepared. Thanks.
lacy weige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #2

There are many types of e2 hitches (500#-1500#) round bar or trunion. We need your (ready to go down the road camping weight) in order to render a valid guess on your hitch/sway assy. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

There is another thread on this site discussing the differences between the E2 hitch and the Equalizer. I have an Equalizer and a V-Lite. It does the job, but it is heavy. I mean heavy. I would have gotten the E2 instead had they been on the market when I bought mine. Make sure the hitch is the 10,000 lb model.

The crewcab will make the towing safer and more enjoyable, for the driver. One thing you need to check on is the factory installed trailer hitch. Make sure it is rated to tow the weight you stated above. I know GM does this and I would assume Ford and Chrysler do something similar. I have a 2500 Silverado crewcab "rated" to tow around 14000 lbs. The factory installed tow package hitch is only rated to tow 7500 lbs. I replaced it with a Reese. I could tell a difference in the towing, there was much less flexing. I found this information on a GM truck forum.

Enjoy your travels.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

The dry weight on your trailer tongue is 805 lbs. The dry weight is 6600 lbs and it has over 3000 lbs of cargo carrying capacity. That is a lot of cargo for not being a toy hauler. .. I would not mess with an e2. Get the equalizer e4. Goto their site to determine the right size hitch. Try to figure how much weight you will add to the trailer max and then calculate 10-15% for tongue weight. Don't let them sell you an e2. It only had 2 way sway protection versus 4 way of the e4...
Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
Site Team

i also agree about getting the real 4-point U.S. made Equal-i-zer for your trailer.

the Chinese-made E2 is fine for smaller trailers, but you'll need all the help you can get, so the real Equal-i-zer is a much better and safer choice.

no separate sway bars needed and the 4-point sway control will be a much better control factor.

and your truck's towing info is WAY incorrect.
there's NO way a F-150 can tow 13,990lbs.!!
that number is probably the truck's GCWR, meaning the max total weight for trailer AND truck together.
stands for Gross Combined Weight Rating.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
3rd Generation RV lover

Thanks so much for the insight. When I was a kid, my grandparents and parents camped year round. Fortunately, they passed on a wonderful tradition that I'm sharing with my husband and son, but unfortunately, they're not around to help answer these questions any more. You are absolutely correct bikendan, we were looking at the GCWR in the manual. By the time we load the trailer, add the hitch weight, etc., we are going to be pushing the truck to its limits. I think we are going to look at getting an F-250. We specifically said to the RV dealer that we didn't want to have to get a new truck. But, it looks like his statements about our towing capabilities were much like his other statements....lesson learned. Of course, we fell in love with the v-cross as soon as we walked in so we were probably headed towards a new truck anyway. Regardless, we will calculate the ready to go down the road camping weight, etc. as y'all suggested. We really appreciate the help.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacy weige View Post
Hello v-crossers! My husband and I purchased a new 2013 v-cross 28vrbk over the weekend. We will be picking it up in a few days and the dealer will be installing e2 sway bars at that time. This is our second TT. He tried to tell us that the TT was only 28 ft and weighed 6500. He knew less than we did about construction, etc. from our research going in.
looking at the 32'5" long 28VRBK, you'll definitely need the 4-point real Equal-i-zer and NOT the E2. too much trailer for that WDH.

actual loaded hitch weight will be close to 1,000lbs.
actual trailer weight from the factory(UVW)will be probably a little over 7000lbs. sitting on the dealer's lot. that would be the yellow sticker weight.

ask the dealer for the yellow sticker weight number. that will be the weight with everything but battery, propane, water and cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
3rd Generation RV lover

After many conversations with the dealer who sold us the V-Cross, the dealer who sold us the truck, and some additional research, we ultimately got the E-4 hitch and a sherline tongue weight scale. We did not get a new truck. Everythign worked perfectly. We towed the trailer from Austin to LaJitas which is between the Big Ben state and national parks. We had a great time our son loves the trailer and hiking in Big Ben. We are all set to go use the RV again in two weeks at a Jellystone Park outside of Canyon Lake. Of course, we now have several questions about things like RV covers and surge protestors, etc. which I will start new strings on. But I just wanted to say thanks again for your help and post an update for any newbies that come after me.

Tags
hitch, sway