Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Tire wear problem on new trailer

I just discovered I have a very serious issue with my VCross 25vfb travel trailer.

Had the trailer parked in the driveway after our first long trip with this unit from Toronto area to Boston this past summer.
Only purchased the unit new last year down in PA from Keystone RV.

Sat I took trailer to be stored for winter and upon tying up the cover noticed rear wheels are badly worn both for the short distance its travelled and the time we have had it. Then I looked in further and noticed both rear wheels have the inside edges worn at 45 degrees and smooth.

Got the shock of my life, these tires could have burst on a long trip.

I am trying to find the correct telephone number to contact Forest River Vcross Warranty Division.

Tried Keystone but they gave me the wrong number, then called several other numbers I came across no luck yet all for different brands.

I want to establish if Forest River knows of an issue that causes this and check on warranty claim. When I checked my sale papers I see the warranty would have run out on 28 September. Have had the trailer parked in driveway for most of summer after trip to Boston, hope they gonna take the time to listen.

Anyone had this kind of experience.

There is no way this is from over loading, only my wife and I use this trailer and we actually weigh everything we put in on a large accurate digital scale.

I even purchased a tongue weight scale and had my whole rig weighed at the weigh scales empty and loaded so as to confirm weight. Never been anywhere near fully loaded.

I am guessing this is a factory alignment and axle issue. Have to get permission to have it seen to in Canada at a different dealer. Anyone had to do this before for warranty claim?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Did this happen because the tires rubbed on the frame or just going down the road?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

At this point I have no idea. Only discovered the issue on Sat.

Something serious has to be wrong because both back tires are worn over their whole surface to the point of needing to be replaced.

But regardless of that fact the edges of these tires are worn off at such an angle that this wear on its own will mean the tires get replaced.

I have the trailer parked, Sat it was raining after I put cover on so have not been back to do any further examination. First want to get hold of Forest River re warranty claim.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

I agree with getting the warranty claim started.
It might be a trailer frame problem or the axle or the suspension, it may not be on FR.
Post back when you find out.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #5

Yes, the left wheel of our 6501 was cambered like that and after 600 miles the tire was shot when I noticed it. The dealer had it aligned and replaced the tire. I think it is the 3500 lbs axle and the fact that it is a torsion axles. Tows like a dream but I am keeping my eye on it close. I know I will end up upgrading the axle and going with 15 inch tires when I can afford it, just for peace of mind.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #6

When we where at the plant, the plant was building the v nose trailers do not know if it was the same model as yours, but they where being produced at the Rockwood/ Flagstaff division. You might try and contact them for you warranty.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
Yes, the left wheel of our 6501 was cambered like that and after 600 miles the tire was shot when I noticed it. The dealer had it aligned and replaced the tire. I think it is the 3500 lbs axle and the fact that it is a torsion axles. Tows like a dream but I am keeping my eye on it close. I know I will end up upgrading the axle and going with 15 inch tires when I can afford it, just for peace of mind.
I had concerns on the VIBD 6504 I purchased in 2012, so I was very pro-active in upgrading the axle right from the get go. You can check out some of the detail on this "thread". Page 4

VCROSS Sway Control
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Everyone should know that there is a Sticky thread in the Forum Admin & Announcements area titled Forest River Contact Information. There is a link on page 3.
It shows that the Warranty contact for VCross is Darren Thompson at 260/593-3234.

Tags
tire, trailer