Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

TW mystery to me...

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Vibe T245BHS and I asked the sales guy a question about the Tongue Weight. I said the TW was high... 785#'s empty. His response to me was the TW was the hightest it will ever bee driving it off the lot because the more weight we load into the trailer the less weight will be on the tongue. I can only see that happening if we don't really load any weight in the front of the trailer.

Is he correct, or is he being the typical salesman and trying to get me off his back and the trailer out the door?

Thanks,
Eric
DaTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

Unless you load everything forward of the axles. Our trailer says 585, but is actually 800. That's also with an empty galley tank.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

So the unloaded weight of yours is 585, but when loaded it's 800? Would an empty TW of 785#'s be too much for a TV that has a max of 910#'s of TW for towing?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Be aware that it is easy to shift cargo to adjust TW by a few hundred pounds +/- in a trailer of your size.

A good TW scale is a must. Many available like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...e+weight+scale

On my trailer the factory TW was exactly on target, but without either of the 2 propane tanks and the battery that it was delivered with. That bumped my true TW up from 285# to 395#. Quite a difference. (Small trailer)

You want about 13% of the total trailer weight as tongue weight. Take the maximum cargo capacity weight, add the base weight of the trailer, then multiply by .13 to give you the maximum TW you might get to.

I expect you will be between 800 and 900 Lbs.

One last thing: You will probably want a weight distributing hitch. That can transfer some TW back to the trailer.

INFO HERE:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
So the unloaded weight of yours is 585, but when loaded it's 800? Would an empty TW of 785#'s be too much for a TV that has a max of 910#'s of TW for towing?
I never got the chance to weigh it completely empty (absent batteries and tanks). Our has dual batteries and dual 30# tanks. Plus, the kitchen is in the front, so we have all the canned goods, pots/pans, etc adding to the TW.

Depending on the floor plan, you could exceed the tw of your tv.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Be aware that it is easy to shift cargo to adjust TW by a few hundred pounds +/- in a trailer of your size.

A good TW scale is a must. Many available like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...e+weight+scale

On my trailer the factory TW was exactly on target, but without either of the 2 propane tanks and the battery that it was delivered with. That bumped my true TW up from 285# to 395#. Quite a difference. (Small trailer)

You want about 13% of the total trailer weight as tongue weight. Take the maximum cargo capacity weight, add the base weight of the trailer, then multiply by .13 to give you the maximum TW you might get to.

I expect you will be between 800 and 900 Lbs.

One last thing: You will probably want a weight distributing hitch. That can transfer some TW back to the trailer.

INFO HERE:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
I'll look into that scale. It sounds like a great idea. I've already ordered a WDH. I believe it's the Equal-i-zer 4-Point WDH w/Sway Control.

The wife and I go in to sign papers tomorrow. I guess we'll see how things work out.

Thanks for the help!

Eric
Old 09-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

I think you are very close to going over your tow vehicle maximum tongue weight. I would have the campers tongue weighed empty to make sure how close you are.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Curious to hear the TW with the Equalizer 4 point (great choice) but it will add nearly 100# total weight. My guess is you will be over a bit.
The published TW now includes tanks and propane but not batteries.
Hope she tows great for you.,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

To answer your orginal question, yes I think you were getting some salesman spin on the TW being the heaviest it will ever be.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies!