Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #51

Hello All
I had to send my 6504 Vibe back to the factory for repair because they put the wrong molding on the top at the roof line and it didn't cover the side where it meets the roof and it allowed water to get in. They called and said it was repaired so instead of waiting for the dealer to go pick it up I decided to make the trip over to Indiana from Ohio to pick it up. As I was going over it with the repairman he said oh yeah, We replaced the axle because it lost it's camber. I could see where the tires had been rubbing. I thought that was strange since I have only had it out two times. They threw in an electric power tongue jack for my troubles. I noticed on the way home that my electric brake controller now flashes SH for short. So that will be another problem to deal with. I just purchased an Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 6,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW. It may be a little over kill but I tried the single arm sway control and it was a waist of money in my case. The brackets did not come mounted on my frame so I will have to decide on the mounting method. I may have the brackets welded on if I can't slip them over the top of the frame . I have a standard Chevy Silverado as a tow vehicle . I need the sway control more than I need the weight distribution.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
KWM
17 years RVing

I have a Vibe 826VFK and the dealer did a poor job of setting up the Equal-i-zer hitch. I subsequently cut off the top of the L-brackets to get enough weight transfer and it has been working great for nearly a year now.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #53

I have to cut the top off the L -Bracket and in orders to get enough room to slide the bolt over the frame I have to cut some off the top of the bracket. The bolt will sill have steel around it. It just won't have an inch of steel. After I get it installed I'll decide whether or not to have a few beads of weld put on the frame for general safety.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #54

Installed the Equal-i-zer today. I used the "drill and bolt thru the frame" method that I explained in my earlier post. I am pleased with the installation. I did have to cut the top hole off from the L bracket. (figured that would be the case.)
After much measuring, calculating, guess-ta-mating and making the pre-adjustments, I installed the head in the receiver and completed a full hook-up to the TT. Keep in mind that I'm not on a "hard flat surface" and I don't have the TT loaded as I would for a trip, but from all indications, the set-up is very near perfect. However, confirmation checks will be completed before the next road trip.
Here is a closer view of the hitch. All of the weight is off of the tongue jack & I didn't need the safety chains for this test.
I was very pleased with the Instructions that came with the Hitch. Very detailed and easy to understand. And if that isn't enough, they have very good videos on their web sight.

Thanks again for all of the comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Cross Vibe 6501 (1).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	36119   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Cross Vibe 6501 (3).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	36128  

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #55

I have a Vibe 6504 and I installed the Equalizer 1000/10,000 just about 2 weeks ago. My trailer came with the preinstalled brackets, but I did have to cut the tops off the L bars. Took about a 100 mile round trip this with the camper this weekend and all I can say is "wow". The difference in control is substantial and I'm glad I invested the money in the Equalizer.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfernandz View Post
I have a Vibe 6504 and I installed the Equalizer 1000/10,000 just about 2 weeks ago. My trailer came with the preinstalled brackets, but I did have to cut the tops off the L bars. Took about a 100 mile round trip this with the camper this weekend and all I can say is "wow". The difference in control is substantial and I'm glad I invested the money in the Equalizer.
The Vibe 6500 trailers can be a bit of a challenge for managing sway.
(especially managing the hitch weight to 10-15% of the trailer weight).
The dry weight of most of these units come in over 3,000 lbs depending on how they are equipped. (my 6504 was delivered at 3200 lbs). The problem is the units are equipped with an over sized rear cargo hold that really has limited Cargo Carrying Capicity because anything loaded back there ultimately reduces your hitch weight. The 3500 lb axle/hub & tire ratings also reduce Cargo Carrying Capacity.

I eliminated the risk of axle/hub/tire failure by replacing the 3500 lb Lippert with a 6K Dexter axle, hubs and upgraded from 14 inch to 15 inch 6 bolt tires.

I also installed the equalizer hitch for better towing performance of my 2012 Chevy Traverse (5200 lb tow capacity)

I have been journalling my weights each trip to track the sway characteristics of my 6504 unit. Two weeks ago on my maiden voyage with the new axle I left home with a tongue weight of 350 lbs and a measured trailer weight of 3900 lbs. The trailer towed nicely. On the return trip home I noticed the trailer sway was significantly more. The trailer weighed in at the scales at over 4000 lbs and I measured the tongue weight at home at only 250 lbs. The difference was how I loaded the rear cargon area. (trip out bikes were in the trailer, trip back bikes were in the cargo hold).

On my most recent trip I played around with the cargo and verified it is not that hard to mess up your hitch weight when loading the rear under bed storage compartment.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #57

As per my earlier post, #47 & #54, The Brackets are mounted on the frame. Thought I would post pictures just in case anyone was interested.
Very pleased with the end results.
Because of an electrical junction box on the left side frame, I chose 29.5" back from the ball. ( suggested location is 32" but can be anywhere from 27" - 32".)
I had to cut the top hole off of the L Bracket. (cut just above the top of the 2nd. hole.)
And, yes, I added an extra 5" bolt just for added strength. Not sure it was needed but............... it makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2087.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	36771   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2088.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	36772  

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Here are some photos of the bracket installed by Saturn Industriesin Winnipeg, Manitoba to accomodate the beefier axle.
I noticed you have a cover on your Vibe, and plenty of snow like we have here.
Would you recommend that type of cover? and if so, please post some information : vendor, size etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #59
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboreham View Post
I noticed you have a cover on your Vibe, and plenty of snow like we have here.
Would you recommend that type of cover? and if so, please post some information : vendor, size etc.

Thanks.
Hi dboreham

I think a cover is a personal preference. (RV's usually sit on dealers lots without covers), I just like to protect my unit as much as possible fro UV rays, snow melt, etc. Bought mine from ADCO - Travel Trailer SFS AquaShed® - I forget the part#, however if you check out the website you can see the covers are sold to fit by the length of the unit. I believe I ordered one to fit 20 ft. to 22 ft.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Hi dboreham

I think a cover is a personal preference. (RV's usually sit on dealers lots without covers), I just like to protect my unit as much as possible fro UV rays, snow melt, etc. Bought mine from ADCO - Travel Trailer SFS AquaShed® - I forget the part#, however if you check out the website you can see the covers are sold to fit by the length of the unit. I believe I ordered one to fit 20 ft. to 22 ft.
Ok thanks, and thanks also for the size tip. In our climate we have permanent snow for 6 months of the year so anything you leave out in the weather will degrade pretty quickly. I found this vendor selling both ADCO and Carver (more expensive) covers : Travel Trailer RV Covers

Did you do anything to enclose the A/C topside ? I wondered about building a plywood box around it, something like that, to keep the snow weight off it.

Ideally I'd construct a building big enough to house the trailer, but that won't happen before this coming winter for sure..