Old 06-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Vibe 268RKS problems out of hand?

I purchased a 2015 Vibe 268RKS in March. I've had a bunch of issues some minor, some not so. Is this typical?

Lessee .....

First outing I noticed the table was wobbly. The pedestal bases were installed with screws that were smaller than the holes in the base and the base was turned to try to secure it.

The dogbone rubber band that holds the shower closed was inadequate and the shower doors were knocked loose breaking the little plastic tabs that hold the wheels on.

The remote function for the slide and stab jacks quit working.

The light over the dinette fell down as it was held in by two very skinny screws that were totally inadequate for holding a heavy fixture.

Various trim panels inside had to be reinstalled.

None of the drawer latches in the trailer are adequate for the large drawers and all of them have opened while driving even when empty. One drawer broke when it popped out.

Batteries go stone dead in just a coupe days of not being plugged in.

The furnace barely blows through the floor registers.

I had to remove a big piece of material from one of the AC ducts that was completely blocking airflow.

Now the dinette is delaminating and a new table had to be ordered.

Kitchen window literally exploded when unlatched and opened.

Power stab jacks were loose ( bolts backed out ) like they were inadequately tightened down.

All of these issues are being addressed by the selling dealership under warranty. IF this were a car or truck I cant imagine they'd be in business for long putting products out like this.

Is it really typical of trailers to need so much work right out of the box? My first trailer we bought used and it was fine, didnt need anything. Did the previous owners go through this too?

I'm not a real happy camper right now. I hope this sort of thing stops sometime soon before the warranty is out and it becomes a money pit.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Markwie you sound like you have some DIY skills. I say that because you are aware of the reasons for most things that are of concern. Unless you do not have plans to use your camper for most of the summer then leave it with the dealer along with your "punch list" and he will get to most of the items SOMETIME. But........I bet you bought the rig to use and enjoy with your family! My suggestion is to go to the hardware store (Lowe's or whatever) and fix the things that you are able to fix. Whatever is left over on that list that is not a safety item can be fixed by the dealer in the off season. Look on this forum for answers to your battery problem, a cut off switch at the battery will most likely solve that issue (you will need new batteries next season). There are frustrations with owning these units, but, just go out in this great country and enjoy being away from the "real life" frustrations. There are people on this forum who will help you through any problem. I am not being flippant about your concerns, just offering constructive suggestions.
Best wishes and travel safe

Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

I also bought a Vibe 268RKS in March and I've had a few issues but sadly, I kind of expected it. The build quality is just not that good and there's not much you can do about it. You can take your money elsewhere but they are all about the same it seems.

My dinette table is also wobbly but I thought it was just because the legs rock a bit in the base. I'll have to check the screws.

I installed a battery disconnect switch so I could remove all the parasitic loads while it was stored. Seems to have helped because I just used the tongue jack quite a bit today and the trailer has been sitting for 2-3 weeks.

I've heard lots of stories of furnace and A/C ducts being blocked or pinched. Mine seem okay but not great flow. Don't know if it's just the length of the rig or blockage.

So far, despite the issues, we really like the rig. I hope you get your problems fixed and get to enjoy it soon.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

I too have a Vibe 268rks. We are on our second trip out with it now and have found a major issue. Our 44 gallon fresh water tank went empty, so I took my water jugs to the tap in the park, filled them and headed back to the trailer. Got to the left side, where, to my amazement, let couldn't find a fresh water fill. There is a city water fill, and a fresh water fill that has a threaded hose connection for filling the tanks with the campground hose, but no, large opening filler neck for dumping in the 6 gallon blue fresh water jugs. We had to go out, buy a cheap garden hose and a funnel. Cut the hose down to about a foot long, screw it on to the trailer and stick a funnel, the end. Took us about an hour to get 20 gallons of water into the trailer. What's going on?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwie View Post
I purchased a 2015 Vibe 268RKS in March. I've had a bunch of issues some minor, some not so. Is this typical?

Lessee .....

First outing I noticed the table was wobbly. The pedestal bases were installed with screws that were smaller than the holes in the base and the base was turned to try to secure it.

The dogbone rubber band that holds the shower closed was inadequate and the shower doors were knocked loose breaking the little plastic tabs that hold the wheels on.

The remote function for the slide and stab jacks quit working.

The light over the dinette fell down as it was held in by two very skinny screws that were totally inadequate for holding a heavy fixture.

Various trim panels inside had to be reinstalled.

None of the drawer latches in the trailer are adequate for the large drawers and all of them have opened while driving even when empty. One drawer broke when it popped out.

Batteries go stone dead in just a coupe days of not being plugged in.

The furnace barely blows through the floor registers.

I had to remove a big piece of material from one of the AC ducts that was completely blocking airflow.

Now the dinette is delaminating and a new table had to be ordered.

Kitchen window literally exploded when unlatched and opened.

Power stab jacks were loose ( bolts backed out ) like they were inadequately tightened down.
I was under the impression it was a solid dinet table

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

I'm starting to think that MOST trailers are built generally crappy. I have been told that the workers are piece work/flat rate... paid by the job. It shows.... I am not going to get discouraged, just "get the bugs out". So far, my issues have been minor/fixable. I found out that the fresh water fill issue is "normal" now. Many new trailers dont typically have a separate gravity fill plug. I am making up a 12 volt pump setup to pump fresh water into the trailer. Dont be concerned about this stuff, but take full advantage of the warranty while you can. Fix the simple things yourself. Contact the warranty dept at Forest River and see if they will mail you the parts if you are comfortable doing repairs yourself.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #7

It should not be that way but sadly it is. What you describe is absolutely disgraceful. SMH
Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

Yeah, I agree. Makes a few buyer very scared and potentially not a repeat buyer. I'm so against government regulations it's almost scary, however, I think the RV industry needs to be regulated more like the automotive industry.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

IronCobra

If you look closely at the dinette table it's like 1x4 slats glued side by side. One of the boards had the end separate from the one on each side of it for the last few inches. Wife thought it cracked.

The worst part right now is that the power for the slide is completely down while we are waiting for parts. Now I'm not taking it anywhere since I dont want to manually crank the slide open/closed. I just hope the parts get here soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwie View Post
IronCobra

If you look closely at the dinette table it's like 1x4 slats glued side by side. One of the boards had the end separate from the one on each side of it for the last few inches. Wife thought it cracked.

The worst part right now is that the power for the slide is completely down while we are waiting for parts. Now I'm not taking it anywhere since I dont want to manually crank the slide open/closed. I just hope the parts get here soon.
Can you make up a socket adapter and put it on an electric or cordless drill to manually crank out the slide? Just go slow and steady, not full speed on the drill? I'd hate to miss any camping time!!!

Tags
vibe