Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Vibe 308bhs winter living tips

Specific to this camper or this type (only because I'm not versed or familiar how similar other are or may be), any experiences or tips in winterizing camper while being lived in thru ice and snow winter. Already planning on wrapping water hose from faucet to camper with electric-heat tape, foam them taped. Also read that someone wrapped the dump valves as well.
-full water, electric and sewage hook ups-
lcolbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #2

Are you going to be in Texas or other places. Big difference in how and what you do depending on where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

West Texas, Odessa/Midland area
lcolbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

First I would start by checking and sealing up all the open areas around the underbelly and plumbing that you can see. It will help with the drafts of cold air and cooling in the summer.

You said you have the water covered. Will your fresh water tank and have a spare hose just in case. The heat tape can quit working or get unplugged and you will be to keep going. Tank full in case someone freezes their hydrant and CG has to turn water off to fix.

You can get by there with a slinky hose but I would hard pipe it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447248502.134005.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	94081

This is an adapter you hook on the camper and is made ready for 3" PVC schedule 40 pipe just need the fittings to make the bends you need to get to the drain. Especially good if is a long way or the windy side of the trailer if you want to leave the water dripping. I am using a rubber reducer with hose clamps that can go past the knots on the camper to seal off. Check for leaks with grey water. Get the pipe in the fitting good and just tape them. Haven't ever seen one come apart yet. Can use left over pipe to make supports or anything else. Rubber connectors will give you more flexibility if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447249246.891160.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	94083

This is my setup right now.

Next is underpinning. You can buy custom skirts if you want to. If you can drive a stake in the ground I use them.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447249413.856321.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	94084

Put them around the camper extra on the corners and every six to eight feet. Less if real windy. You can build a wood frame around it if not able to dig in the ground. I have used foam sheets cut to size or what I got now.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447249683.194879.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	94085

Steps can be the trickery spot. Use good 3 M duct tape. Metal not fabric kind. Tape on seam on the camper if possible for easier residue removal.
Then use fender washer and screw to the stakes.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447249917.631898.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	94088

This should keep it from be able to be blown off and flapping. Cut access to tank valves and tape them shut. The other option is to lay something on it to hold it in place.

You can heat tape your drains if you want but I never had with this setup. Your can put a small heater or heat lamp. Make sure it will not catch anything or fire like grass or leaves. Get a remote temperature and hang off a drain handle loosely with a zip ties. Until it gets to 32 or 33 don't run the light or heater.

I have sometimes put a heater in the basement on the 5th wheel where my plumbing is and move everything away from heater. The wind has made mine almost freeze up last year with the draft coming around the door. Put a piece of foam insulation and the heater and ended the problem. It was -8 below at that time.

You can put the reflexive insulation over the window or put a sheet over them. You will feel the draft by them.

I got a long propane hose and use a 100 lb tank.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447250921.851852.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	94091

Don't try to run all the electric heater off the camper. Get heavy duty cords and use the plugs on the pedestal.

Don't really think you will need it there but it will make it more comfortable to heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe, winter