Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Vibe 6502 air circulation issues

We just got back from a trip to Lake Ouachita state park in Arkansas and while the park is beautiful, we had several issues with our camper.
1 - the propane didn't stay on so when we arrived the fridge was not on/cold - good thing we'd packed everything in a cooler just in case
2 - we've only been out 4 times and already there is a leak in the vent in the bathroom. I spent all of one night getting up every hour to dump the pan catching the water as it rained all night and we couldn't patch it until the next day.
3 - this is the bigger/on-going problem. There is no air circulation in the bed/sleeping area. If we sleep up in the bed, we get hot even with a small circulating fan on the shelf - the a/c doesn't blow into that area at all due to the location of the a/c unit. And, if we sleep down in the converted dinette area we freeze! Any suggestions?? What have others done to rectify this? Is this just a design flaw that we either have to live with or get rid of the camper? I would imagine we'll have the same problem in reverse if we need to use the heater instead.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wybdgrl View Post
We just got back from a trip to Lake Ouachita state park in Arkansas and while the park is beautiful, we had several issues with our camper. 1 - the propane didn't stay on so when we arrived the fridge was not on/cold - good thing we'd packed everything in a cooler just in case 2 - we've only been out 4 times and already there is a leak in the vent in the bathroom. I spent all of one night getting up every hour to dump the pan catching the water as it rained all night and we couldn't patch it until the next day. 3 - this is the bigger/on-going problem. There is no air circulation in the bed/sleeping area. If we sleep up in the bed, we get hot even with a small circulating fan on the shelf - the a/c doesn't blow into that area at all due to the location of the a/c unit. And, if we sleep down in the converted dinette area we freeze! Any suggestions?? What have others done to rectify this? Is this just a design flaw that we either have to live with or get rid of the camper? I would imagine we'll have the same problem in reverse if we need to use the heater instead. Thanks for any ideas!
Is the A/C ducted? If so there may be things to do, otherwise you amy need to jury rig some deflectors at the A/C outlet to redirect the air forward to the bed area. try cardboard and tape first and then if it works you may be able to fabricate something.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
phat phrog stunt crew

we close the ac vent in the living room which forces all the air to the bedroom. when i wake up (always first it seems), i open the vent in living room to the half way point to help cool it down if needed so when wife gets up it is usually cool enough for her.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Can't help on the circulation but as far as the fridge, the flame can blow out while you are driving due to wind. We had the same issue. I just always check it every time I stop.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

Thanks for your responses. My husband was thinking of possibly cutting a hold in that wall and installing a fan of some sort - any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
3 - this is the bigger/on-going problem. There is no air circulation in the bed/sleeping area. If we sleep up in the bed, we get hot even with a small circulating fan on the shelf - the a/c doesn't blow into that area at all due to the location of the a/c unit. And, if we sleep down in the converted dinette area we freeze! Any suggestions?? What have others done to rectify this? Is this just a design flaw that we either have to live with or get rid of the camper? I would imagine we'll have the same problem in reverse if we need to use the heater instead.
Thanks for any ideas!
Hi Wybdgrl - We have a VIBE 6540 - and love it. It seems to have a similar floor plan to the 6502 other than our slide is for bunks, yours is for the kitchen. I assume the overhead air conditioner is in the same spot. There is a deflector knob on either side of the A/C to push air flow to the side instead of straight down (do not know if you have tried that). One thing we like to do as the exterior temperature drops is to crack the bedroom windows open slighlty then run the bathroom exhaust fan on low/medium or high depending on the conditions. This technique definitely helps the comfort level in the sleeping area. Hope that helps.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #7

Yes, we've tried diverting the air flow but then the a/c rattles and is very loud (maybe we have a bigger problem). And, the vent still only pushes air toward the wall rather than actually into the bed lfot area.

We've not tried venting the windows, though. However,I was a little hesitant to open the windows for fear that we might kick the screen during the night since it's pretty tight up there. We do normally keep the bathroom fan on, but as mentioned during this trip that vent was also leaking and it was raining in so we had to keep it closed.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Yes, we've tried diverting the air flow but then the a/c rattles and is very loud (maybe we have a bigger problem). And, the vent still only pushes air toward the wall rather than actually into the bed lfot area.

We've not tried venting the windows, though. However,I was a little hesitant to open the windows for fear that we might kick the screen during the night since it's pretty tight up there. We do normally keep the bathroom fan on, but as mentioned during this trip that vent was also leaking and it was raining in so we had to keep it closed.
The Dometic A/C units tend to be a little loud, however it should not rattle ? Once you get the "leaking vent" fixed you should try just cracking the back window open even just a little with the bathroom exhaust running (A/C off). You would be surprised at how much ventilation that creates for the rear sleeping area (especially if the other main area windows are shut). You can even slightly crack open the "emergency exit" window in the sleeping area.

Paul/Darcie - Yan & Li Christensen
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Thanks - we'll try that suggestion, too. I'll keep you posted on the thought of installing a small fan (probably a computer type fan) into the wall. His thought was to install a small one in that dividing wall up near the top so the vented air will go more directly into the bed area. If the mod works I'll definitely share with photos. Thanks again for the ideas.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

it is sad that all the money spent on new rvs that the customer seems to be the one fixing it in the end. if any car maker had the same trouble with their vehicles (all being equal to units with problems vs units produced), they would be out of business in a very short order.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

I was Just curious. What did you end up towing your 6502 with?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #12

We purchased a beautiful blue 2010 Ford F150. It's amazing the difference and we were thrilled we made this purchase before our recent trip to Lake Ouachita state park. There was a good sized hill going into the park that our Kia wouldn't have liked much but it was a breeze with the truck. And, during the whole 10 hour drive it felt as though we were pulling the trailer rather than the trailer being in control. Much better and much less stressful of a trip!!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #13

I am glad to hear you are comfortable with your combo. It makes towing fun when it feels right!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Dwayne - I couldn't agree more! In our case, I'm going to chalk it up to a learning experience and have better knowledge of what to look for when we trade up. There certainly is a learning curve involved with life as a camper. When we purchased our Vibe we were looking for something big enough for the two of us and our dog. We were pretty naive and were only concerend with having a good-sized bathroom, workable kitchen area and a bed. Well, we didn't think about also looking for plenty of storage space for clothes and air circulation. Once we get the air circulation problems resolved I think this camper will be just right for several years. The good news is that there are plenty of experienced, helpful folks out there willing to coach us newbies along.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #15

Hi, I really noticed this issue when I spent Sept. in Florida. I'm putting a window in to let the air flow in. I saw a picture of a newer 6502 and it seems they've corrected the issue by significantly reducing the wall entirely. But, when my tech tried to do this he said the indicators and thermostat had to many wiring requirement to move easily. Hopefully my modification will work.
JohnESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #16

John - I'd be very interested to hear about your modification once it's done. Our plan is to install a fan into the wall up near the top, plugging it in to the outlet in the corner of the sleeping area. We plan on looking into a computer-type fan or maybe an exhaust fan of some sort that could be installed in the wall. On another note - what creative ways have you added storage for clothing? We've found the corner cabinet behind the toilet to be basically unusable for anything other than small items. We also sort of roll the towels and keep them there as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
John - I'd be very interested to hear about your modification once it's done. Our plan is to install a fan into the wall up near the top, plugging it in to the outlet in the corner of the sleeping area. We plan on looking into a computer-type fan or maybe an exhaust fan of some sort that could be installed in the wall. On another note - what creative ways have you added storage for clothing? We've found the corner cabinet behind the toilet to be basically unusable for anything other than small items. We also sort of roll the towels and keep them there as well.
Hi Jackie, Paul & Zyriah,
I'll keep you posted. I use the TV stand to hold a decent fan. Like you we use the corner cabinet for anything. I get a kick out of telling my wife that I'm going to our library because that's where we keep all our movies and books. I'd like to add some more shelving in the bedroom but I'm not sure of the best method to screw into the walls. I wish Forest River would post their structural diagrams. We're off to Arizona in a few weeks so we'll have another live and learn experience.

Hope you have great travels,

John
JohnESA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe