Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Vibe 6504 Equal-i-zer 4 point or E2

Considering purchase of a 2015 Vibe 6504, Dealer (salesman) says it comes with the equalizer brackets pre installed on the A-frame but states "It will only work with the E2" (2 point sway control). He could not explain why the 4- point Equalizer would not work.

From what I understand (which admittedly, is not much at times), the difference between the equalizer and the E2 is in the forces applied to the spring bar at the hitch head and that the bracket on the trailer are the same on the equalizer as the E2.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Campersteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

I have a 2014 6504 and I use the E2 and it works well. I cannot give any advice on the equalizer other than I believe it has something to do with the clearance around the V front design. Someone else may have more knowledge but the E2 is working well on ours! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campersteveo View Post
Considering purchase of a 2015 Vibe 6504, Dealer (salesman) says it comes with the equalizer brackets pre installed on the A-frame but states "It will only work with the E2" (2 point sway control). He could not explain why the 4- point Equalizer would not work.

From what I understand (which admittedly, is not much at times), the difference between the equalizer and the E2 is in the forces applied to the spring bar at the hitch head and that the bracket on the trailer are the same on the equalizer as the E2.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?
After much confusion and a few questions to Progress, I found that the Equal-I-zer and the E2 indeed do have different L bracket frame mounts. The Progress rep said that one of them (I cannot recall which) changed the brackets.

The E2 brackets literally have bolts welded to the outside frame bracket. Those bolts are what holds the L bracket in place. Break one of these bolts (like I did) and you are out of luck until Fastway sends you a replacement.

The Equal-I-zer frame brackets have a sliding slot that allows the bolts to be adjusted on the frame, and the outside frame bracket is a lot thicker. This allows real bolts thorough the bracket. Break one of these bolts and just head to the local hardware store for a replacement.

See outside frame bracket in pictures for differences.
E2 Brackets:
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2 bracket.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	63942

Equal-I-zer brackets:
Click image for larger version

Name:	equalizer brackets.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	63943

As for whether one could be used for the other, I cannot say for sure, but my local shop has an E2 on display with Equal-I-zer brackets. That is what led to my confusion to start with.

Edit: He might just mean that the frame brackets are E2 parts and he doesn't want to trade out an Equal-I-zer for free . . . The brackets do come off of the frame by just unbolting them. If you want the Equal-I-zer make them either give you a technical reason they cannot install it, trade it out as a part of the sale or find another dealer.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

We have a 2012 6503 and use a Equalizer 4 point sway control I had to cut the brackets for it to work and that just limits the adjustment of the L brackets by about a 1 1/2". It works good for us no problem with sway as long as the trailer is loaded properly with about 450 lbs. of tongue weight.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Ended up with a Blue Ox. Came with "Limited Pkg" (weight destribution hitch w/sway control, battery disconnect, 4400 lb axles, LED lights) . Despite being OEM, Dealer had to move L-bracket supports about 3/4 inch for clearance during PDI, and add long drop bar for proper install, took 2 1/2-3 hours but they billed FR as warranty work. Only towed home so far but seemed to tow well ( vs 32' Puma we moved from).
Campersteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #6

We use the Blue Ox & as long as I keep my speed in a reasonable range, it works great.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

When we got the Vibe 6501 a couple years ago, the dealer said the E2 was the proper size for the rig. I insisted on the full EQ. After several trips I would give the EQ mixed reviews. The full EQ-4 is HEAVY, probably over 40lbs. You have to wrestle it on to the hitch. This also adds to tongue weight of the rig so I have to compensate by shifting the generator and other items to the rear vibe hold.

The vibe is a pretty well behaved rig in tow. It takes a lot of force to make it sway. I find that for shorter trips (long weekends), I leave the EQ at home and just use a standard hitch.

If I were to do it again I would check the weight of both the E2 and E4. If the E4 is twice the weight and price, I'd probably stay with the E2. The exception to this advice may be for those who may drive in more challenging conditions...strong side winds, heavy semi traffic, slick roads, etc.

Cheers
jgallo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer, vibe