Old 09-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Vibe 6504 - Slide out Mod

So, we have had our Vibe 6504 since May. We have struggled with the slide-out, in that it doesn't go out far enough to be flush with the wall and then it has a long lip that makes it so the dinette cushions don't fit and it is next to impossible to get the table out of the sleeping the position. We have had it in to the dealer for warranty issues and it appears that is just how they are made (they were incredibly unhelpful!!! We will do our own fixes if possible! I don't know if the blame should be on Forest River or the dealer, but it has not been a pleasant experience.)

We went ahead and peeled back the carpet and cut off about 2 inches of the slide-out. What a difference !!! The cushions fit, the table works. It's so much better. I don't know if it was just my vibe or if they are all like that. I just wanted to share in case anyone else is having that problem. I also think if the slide went out all the way it would have improved the table situation as well.

I still feel the table is heavy and awkward to move. I'm going to look into a modification for that. Maybe installing a 3 stage pedestal I saw at Camping World. If any of you have switched out the table I'd love to hear about it.

Carcolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Mine is a 2013 6505 with the slide out dinette..
So far no problems..and everything seems to fit well.....but yes the table is a bit heavy..
I hate that the seat backs don't stay put. I think Im going to add some velco to hold them in place while in use..

Does yours or any others with the slide out have the canopy over the top of the slide? Im thinking about adding one... I think it would help with rain, I fear that enough rain and it will eventually seep through the rubber and come inside..

Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
We have a 2013 Vibe 6504 which came with raised table mounts on the floor.I replaced the mounts with flush mounts from Camping World,using a hole saw to cut through the floor being careful not to cut through the sub floor.I installed carpet ,made wooden plugs in the table mount with carpet on top of plugs.This allows us to use the table if we want,however ,we have stored the table for over a year now.I purchased an aluminum table from CW which fits nicely and can be used outside also.The carpet covers the floor only in the area of the table location and can easily be removed for cleaning.BTW,we have had no problems with the Slideout.
geo m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
We have a 2015 6504 & our slide does not go flush either. We also have the little lip on the bottom bunk slide, but because we do not use the dinette as a bed getting it in & out is not an issue for us.

The table is a PITA. It is heavy, awkward, and not very stable. We are about a month into a 2+ month road trip in our Vibe, and while I appreciate the prep area when I'm cooking a meal, the whole thing (including the cushions not being flush & the back cushions not staying up) is not very well designed.

For example, our table legs are positioned such that there is a larger space on one end of the table, which I suppose is meant to provide more room to access the bottom bunk when the table is in place. This means one of is is eating & using our laptop whilst seated at the very edge of our seat. I can add some cushions & what what - but it is an example of a lot of things that don't seem very well thought out.

We do not have slide covers, and it rained for most of the first three weeks of our trip. We have not had an issue with water or leaks (knock wood).

I would like to do some kind of modification on the table, especially since we don't use the bed. I'm not very handy, but ready to do something that is more workable.

I still dig my Vibe overall, it's treated us well, but our biggest complaint is that there are several design issues (like the slide not being flush & the table) that are pretty silly.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 2005 BMW X5
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Thanks for the replies. I have a 2014, so it must be a design flaw in the '14 and '15 models. It really is annoying. I have 3 kids, so I have to use the table as a bed.

As for rain, we had the slide-out out while we were working on it and it rained. The trailer is just on the street in front of our house and we didn't level it. Rain did leak in, but we think if we had it leveled it wouldn't have been an issue.
Carcolery is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out, vibe, modifications