Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Im now worried... When I bought my Vibe 6504... the dealer said "I think a stabilizer will be overkill" and the sway bar is only on one side.. different from anything I have seen before.. but ok.. I'm female.. they can pull stuff over on me....

Maybe because I have a 2009 Ford F150?
with just over 300lbs of tongue weight on a half ton truck, I don't see any reason for weight distribution bars. On smaller trucks and SUVs, they would be needed

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #22

I agree your Ford F150 will help a lot in preventing sway, It's weight and longer wheel base and a stronger suspension helps a lot. We to have a half ton truck but we also use the Equalizer 4 point sway control. If we have about 450 lbs. of tongue weight we have no problem with sway even with large trucks passing and windy days. The layout of our Vibe 6503 I would think as far as weight distribution would be similar to the 6501.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #23

Thanks! I should admit that This happens mostly when my speed creeps up & is not an issue when going at lower speeds.

I'm also towing with a 2005 BMW X5, which is unusual enough that my dealer could not install my brake controller & the mechanic who did it for me had to send to California for some special wire for it. It tows surprisingly well, but them relative light weight make it easier & more tempting to go faster...

We got into Asheville last night & are enjoying ourselves, taking it reallllly easy

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #24

I just read this morning on the r-pod owners forum "a r-pod was we owned prior to our Vibe" of a man towing his r-pod it began to sway and next thing he knew he was rolling over a embankment. He was not injured but the r-pod was totaled and the Ford Explorer he was driving was seriously damaged perhaps that too was totaled. The fresh water tank was located behind the axle and he was traveling with it full planing on dry camping. That greatly affected the tongue weight and led to the problem with sway and perhaps driving a little faster than he should of. Things can become a dangerous situation very quickly, proper tongue weight is a serious subject something to be considered when loading a trailer. Would like to add wear your seat belt that is what probably save his life.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #25

I'm glad to hear the R-Pod owner is going to be okay! That is a scary feeling when you experience that kind of sway!

I will say from a 1st hand experience that (what I call) "death sway" is ALL DECKS ON HAND!!! After this past experience I will NOT drive faster than 60mph and will make sure my tongue weight has the necessary.

Otherwise, I love my Vibe it's "simplicity" !
Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #26
Nan

I hate interstates and will go 100 miles out of the way to avoid them...
When I picked up my VIBE it was in Central Florida (Leesberg/Fruitland Park).. I pulled it from there to North Florida just below the Alabama line... It had a 1/2 tank of water...since I had camped the night before... I didn't have any problems... but I also kept myself at a decent speed...
I know I know...Im a chicken...
Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #27

Vibe mileage

Wow, that is a wake-up call. It really bugs me that there is soooo much weight in the back of the Vibe - the storage compartment, the battery, fresh water tank, propane, hot water heater, the spare tire - hearing the importance of balancing all that kind of makes me ticked at my dealer. I had no warning or instruction about it at all.

I experienced some intense swaying on our first day out on the road & thankfully we planned it to not be too far away. I did an internet search & researched what could be happening & came up with the idea to load up the bathroom. I wasn't even sure it would work.

I always wear my seat belt, but I will also slow just slow down after hearing this story. There is little to no sway when I keep it at 60-65 MPH.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #28

The ones who design campers should all be experienced campers to understand weight distribution and total cargo weight. I never knew the 6504 had so much weight behind the axle everything that was mentioned is in front of the axle with the 6503 Vibe, except the storage compartment and spare tire as it comes from the factory. If you are able to move the spare up front that would help, our tire weighed 65 lbs.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #29

We use a bathroom scale with a board and a couple of blocks of wood. If you search on the internet for trailer tongue weight you will find a diagram and instructions. It is easy and you can adjust your weight as needed and get a quick tongue weight by looking at the scale. You can easily see the change in tongue weight when moving weight from behind the axle to the front of the axle. By my experience a mechanical scale with a dial works better than a electronic digital scale.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #30
Nan

Im loading up today and doing some rearranging for a trip this weekend..
Looks like at least this trip the boxes will be in the bathroom.. but I really like the idea of moving the spare tire..

My other trailer is heavy...7000 pds plus... never had to worry about anything except scraping the ground since it was/is very low... and I live in an area with anything other than smooth roads...dirt roads at that..

As far as trailer builders go.. it's all about the money... I really don't think anyone cares.. except for the sale...

A@Flower.. who did the change of the tire to the front? dealer?

Tags
mileage, vibe