Old 03-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Vibe Table Mod

OK, hated the OEM dual post table supports. They wobbled a bit, and there was no place to store them when using the table as a bed. This solution also has the benefit of getting the table out of the way when you need to work in the battery storage area. The setup uses the plastic wall clips used with wire shelving and 1/4 inch zinc plated steel rod. I recommend using molly bolts to fasten the shelf clips to the front wall. The rod is bent into two square "U" shapes and inserted/glued into holes drilled into the table parallel with the surface. A folding leg assembly was bolted in place of the original posts-much more stable. To drop the table into the bed position, fold the legs, pull the metal rods up and out of the clips and drop the table into position. As you can see in the pictures, this also allows the table to be tilted out of the way if that area is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150301_140213439.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	70512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150301_140223481.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	70513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150301_140303607_HDR.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	70514  

Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #2

The table top alone from the factory in our 6503 weighed 65 lbs. Particle board is very heavy it was already sagging in the middle. I replaced it with 3/4" Baltic birch much stronger is not sagging and including the folding leg weighs about 40 lbs. less. Your table like ours being connected to a solid wall helps in keeping the table steady.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Would love to see pictures of your birch interior upgrades.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

I feel your pain.
We have a 2013 Vibe 6501. Have make several small mods to improve function for us. Bottom line, it is a "Travel Trailer" and not suited for long term stationary camping. However, it is ideal for being on the road and sight seeing.
As noted on another thread, storage is limited. My first project was to replace the cabinet over the toilette with a slightly larger one. Moved the smaller cabinet to the hallway to the bed area, just to the right of the existing upper cabinet. I've only bumped my head once and my DW is short enough that it's not a problem. Then I added a large drawer pull to the bottom of the OEM upper cabinet to the right of the wardrobe. It gives extra space for hanging clothe (about 8 hangers same as the wardrobe).
Yesterday, I was checking things out in preparation for our upcoming trip and determined that the microwave/convection oven had dies. So I removed it and took measurements (11 1/8" high X 21 1/4" wide X 15 7/8" deep. Went to Walmart and found a 1000 watt Hamilton Beach Microwave with almost the same dimensions. Was able to transfer the face plate with no problem. The old oven had legs under it so I cut a couple 1" shims from a scrap pieces from a 2X4. Secured them to match the footprint of the new oven. Looks like it came from the factory.
And last but not least; I modified the Dinette Table/Area. I pulled the table and removed the slide assembly from the bottom side. The I installed a 30" high cabinet (from Lowes) against the front wall. I used the scraps from the slide to fabricate a box for the bottom of the table that would fit inside the top of the cabinet and raise the table to the desired height. Also made 2 metal dowel pins and a cross bar to secure the front end of the table while traveling. I removed 1 of the table legs and moved the other 1 back to allow for the cabinet door to open. I installed a 115 volt outlet in the side of the cabinet and plugged it into the existing outlet.
The table top still fits between the seats and works as a bed, same as before.
I have pictures to add. Thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2210.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	75198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2211.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	75199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2212.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	75200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2213.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	75201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2214.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	75202  

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

That's being creative and it looks very good too. I agree with size it is good for traveling but a little small for full time. Have you thought about replacing seat cushions for us they are little uncomfortable not very much support. That may be our next project for the camper. Thanks for explaining everything and the pictures, you have been busy and if like me its something fun to do. The replacement for the microwave is good to know thankfully ours is still working.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

Haven't used the TT enough to get tired of the dinette cushions, yet. That may come later.
I have given thought to replacing the mattress in the bed area. Thinking about a Residential Full Size Mattress because of the length. That would leave a 6" gap between the mattress and the back wall where we could store quilts, blankets and sheets??? Maybe even build a 6" wide storage unit to fill the space??? Still thinking it over. A Full Size mattress is plenty wide for me and my DW.
Also thought about adding another small cabinet (or shelf) to the front of the kitchen O/H cabinets. It would have to be high enough so as not to bump my head but there appears to be plenty of room. Also thinking about moving the battery forward as much as possible so I can enlarge the storage under the r/s dinette seat??? The main shortfall is having space for canned food and dry goods.
Also thinking about adding a fan to move air into the bunk area???

Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Nice work. Agree with your opinion of the Vibes being too small for full-timing. We hope it is small enough to stay at the places we have stayed with our Aliner. I posted some ideas for moving air into the sleeping area in this forum area;

Vibe Air Circulation
Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Also thinking about moving the battery forward as much as possible so I can enlarge the storage under the r/s dinette seat???
I looked into this today. Because of the battery box drain hose and the vapor vent hose locations, there was only about 2" extra space. End result, I moved the panel from the back side of the frame to the front side. That gave me an extra 1 1/2". Not much for the effort but every little bit helps.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Nice work. Agree with your opinion of the Vibes being too small for full-timing. We hope it is small enough to stay at the places we have stayed with our Aliner. I posted some ideas for moving air into the sleeping area in this forum area;

Vibe Air Circulation
Looks like a workable idea. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #10

What I did was relocate lower battery vent by a few inches and built a divider on each side of battery. I now have two storage compartments in front and back of battery with access under seat cushion.

Tags
vibe, modifications