Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

Water heater...

Hi all, we're about to use our camper for the first time where we can fill up with water. (Full week vacation!) It's a boondocking situation so I want to be sure I have maximum water on board. Question is this. To get the water heater full I just need to run water pump right? I mean that adds 6 gallons into fresh water tank that I would lose if I didnt do that when filling up and waited til I arrived at camp.?? I'm a newbie to camping and not great at computers either! Thanks in advance for input.
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #2

Yes you will need to fill your fresh water tank then turn on hot water faucet and let it run till you have good water coming out make sure you have the bypass closed off
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #3

Or if you don't want to run your pump that long you can hook the hose to the city water connection and open the release valve on your hot water heater. Just fill it until water comes out and then close it.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #4

Is there somewhere closer to your campground that you could get water so you don't have to drive so far with the full load?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

OK so we just went to fill fresh water tank and it's leaking from a black valve that's turned up 3/4 of the way up tank. Should there be a cap on that? I thought they told me during orientation that it would flow out the tube where I was filling next to city water connection. Any help is appreciated as always!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Any way you can post a picture of that?

Is the valve connected to the tank 3/4 of the way up, or its connected to the bottom of the tank but plumbed so that it sits 3/4 of the way up?

Hopefully another VCross owner can help.

It seems to me like there should only be four connections to the tank. The water outlet which should connect at the bottom and go to the pump.

The vent, which should connect at the top of the tank (with never a valve).

The fill, which will usually be a bigger hose if its gravity feed. Could be top or bottom.

The drain, which might just be a tee off the water outlet to the pump or could be its own "bottom" connection. A valve with nothing on the other side like you describe sure sounds like a drain, but it would have to be connected to the tank at the bottom.

If you can see the vent and know its not that valve, then I'd say you can close it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Denver, CO

what unit do you have 275vrl has totally sheathed underbelly and so I can't see the thank at all.

i pic would help alot also.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

It's on the side of the tank. It looks like it should have a snap cap on it. I'm just confused because they told me when it was full it would have water coming out where I was filling it. Unfortunately I can't take a pic as I'm only using my phone. It's a 27 vfk.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
It's on the side of the tank. It looks like it should have a snap cap on it. I'm just confused because they told me when it was full it would have water coming out where I was filling it. Unfortunately I can't take a pic as I'm only using my phone. It's a 27 vfk.
You can attach pics from your phone by using the "+" or "Advanced" button at the top of the New Reply window (for iPhones, I least).
Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Denver, CO

I'm almost assuming that it is a tank drain, as that is the only thing that would have a valve on it. Question is why is it halfway up the tank. If you can turn off the valve, do that, it should have another tube that is the overflow.

IMO
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

BTW, since you clearly haven't sanitized the tank, I hope you weren't planning to drink this water.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #12

Another thought. If that's the drain valve and it's up like that, the tank may have contained very contaminated water that couldn't drain out. I know this isn't a good time, but I really think you need to get what's in there out before you fill it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #13

Well I never figured out what it is. Not for lack of willing helpers though. Thank You. When it finally quit leaking I was left with 2/3rds of a tank of fresh water. I will call dealer today to see what they know. The lack of water pressure was fixed by taking the screens out of outlet of spout and cleaning them. Also there was a water conservation piece in there. I removed that for now.