Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Water pump and hot water bypass - 6504

Hey folks .. on a Vibe 6504 .. I'm starting my winterizing research. Two questions:

1. Where is the water pump - and has anyone hooked up the antifreeze to that? How do i get to it.

2. How to bypass the water heater after emptying? Do I get to it though the battery side (remove the panel if possible) or from the inside?

Thanks in advance.
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Hello Ptown we've had our vibe going on 3 years now. The water pump and HW bypass are both located in the battery compartment. There is a false wall to the left of the battery, removed it allows access to the backside of the water heater.

The connection closest to you on the pump is the inlet side. And if I recall correctly their are three valves on backside of HW. Without looking at it (my camper is at CG right now and I'm not) I can not recall the turning sequence of the valves.....I have it wrote in my manual though. I have successfully winterized my camper the past two winters, and last winter was the coldest I remember.
Coal is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

I find it is easiest to disconnect the hose from the fresh water tank and put the hose into a fresh gallon of anti-freeze. I then put the water pump on and fill the system. I then open the faucets till they run antifreeze. Do it for all your sinks and showers. Even outside. When the pump runs dry, just place a fresh gallon and your good to go.
Not sure where your tank is but you want to turn the valves so they point in the direction you want the flow to go. In your case, you want it to bypass the tank. It will become apparent when you find the water heater.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #4

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

I've just started planning for winterizing and I looked in the battery compartment. Behind the water heater on my Vibe are all the valves needed to bypass the water heater to allow for flushing. The top left valve will shut off flow FROM the tank (Red pipe). The valve connecting Hot and cold lines in the middle will allow flow from cold line to hot line. The bottom right valve cuts of cold water coming into the tank.
I was glad to see that this was already installed and no setup needed.
The pump sits right behind my battery box and to the right of the water heater.
I'm still debating whether to blow out the lines or fill with RV anti-freeze.

Which ever way you go, don't forget regardless to pour antifreeze into the sinks and shower drains to keep P traps from freezing.
cbf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

This is great info. Heading to Chincateague, VA next weekend and winterizing after that. I hope I can follow those instructions in order to bypass the hot water tank. Did you drain the tank by pulling the anode?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

That's the easiest way I've read to do it. There some space between the lip if the tank and the outside edge of the camper. Best thing I've seen is some foil to channel the water out. I did see a pic somewhere of anther person who had cut a funnel in halve to do the same thing.
cbf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

Don't forget to put RV anti-freeze in all the "P" traps. Clear all the tanks.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, hot water, pump, water, water pump