Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Welp I need a new converter. What should I get on Amazon

I have a vibe with 50 amp service. What’s the best converter to get? Need one that’s easy to install. Thanks
texms1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Progressive dynamics is who iv heard is pretty good.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Progressive Dynamics

Contact Randy at Best Converter, he will help you get the correct unit. Get the make model number of your current unit. He answers emails in very short order. I have purchased several converters and other items from him over the years. First class service all the way.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

I have to add, WFCO guys are very helpful and quick to respond to emails or messages on their website.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #5

More questions... I’m assuming my converter is out because my battery does not hold a charge long term when plugged into shore power. Could it be a fuse at the converter? The idiots at FR put my converter on the other side of the barrier wall in the front storage compartment. I will have to take everything out and I guess unscrew the barrier wall so I can get to it.

So again my question is could it be a fuse on the converter itself? Thanks for all the help.
texms1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

There is a main fuse at the bottom of the column on mine that can blow but usually only when someone connects the pos/neg terminals backwards. It’s worth checking for sure. It’s not too common that converters go bad but it can happen.

That can also be a symptom of a bad battery. Have you tried charging it with a free standing charger? Side note; Schoemaker Smart Charger has been the best purchase I’ve made. Bought it 6-7 years ago for my boat and it’s served me faithfully.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by texms1977 View Post
More questions... I’m assuming my converter is out because my battery does not hold a charge long term when plugged into shore power. Could it be a fuse at the converter? The idiots at FR put my converter on the other side of the barrier wall in the front storage compartment. I will have to take everything out and I guess unscrew the barrier wall so I can get to it.

So again my question is could it be a fuse on the converter itself? Thanks for all the help.
Normal for them to put it behind the wall in a 5th wheel . do all of you 12volt work when plugged in ? have you put a meter on the batteries when on shore power to verify the converter is bad and not just a bad battery ? you should read 13.2v to 14.xx if the converter is working while on shore power . when you assume things you end up throwing parts at something to no avail . do the tests to make sure it's the converter . then replacing a deck mount converter is easy . either progressive or wfco are fine . most likely a 55 amp to 75 amp deck mount . check the converter fuses also .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #8

nothing on Amazon. Bestconverter.com. PD or Boondocker. Ensure it's a smart, multi-stage converter.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

X2 on both the Progressive Dynamics converters and bestconverter dot com.

Randy at bestconverter was a tremendous help when I replaced my WFCO (worst f'ing converter out-there). The PD unit solved all the problems the WFCO was causing and has worked flawlessly for over 4 years.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm just X(whatever) Randy and Best Converter, but first make sure that your converter is the problem.

With a separate converter and power panel, there will be a couple of reverse protection fuses on the converter itself.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

If you decide your converter is the problem I cast another vote for Randy and BestConverter.com. I was not impressed with the WFCO unit on my trailer and upgraded to the Progressive Dynamics converter with monitoring pendant. Installation was straight forward. Make sure you know what model you already have so that the new unit will fit properly.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

I prefer the iota dls series with iq4...and their dls 45 is the ideal size for a 2 battery bank. The progressives would also be a good choice.

That said ..I'm not sure you need a new converter. If you have a multimeter...and can check voltage...while plugged in
Check voltage at batt terminals. Anything over 13.2v means converter is working and you likely have a toasted batt.
Next check voltage at the converter 12v output. 13.2 or more means it is working and you have a wiring issue that needs to be traced. Zero voltage there means check and replace fuses as needed. If still zero...check AC input to insure you are getting 120v. If you are ..THEN you need a new converter
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I prefer the iota dls series with iq4...and their dls 45 is the ideal size for a 2 battery bank. The progressives would also be a good choice.

That said ..I'm not sure you need a new converter. If you have a multimeter...and can check voltage...while plugged in
Check voltage at batt terminals. Anything over 13.2v means converter is working and you likely have a toasted batt.
Next check voltage at the converter 12v output. 13.2 or more means it is working and you have a wiring issue that needs to be traced. Zero voltage there means check and replace fuses as needed. If still zero...check AC input to insure you are getting 120v. If you are ..THEN you need a new converter
When checking to see if converter is bad, best to disconnect the converter to battery wire. WFCO states this needs to be done before testing and then sending any "defective" converters in for warranty.

Simple test that way. No voltage when disconnected, bad.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #14

I had the same issue where the batteries were not being charged. Follow the hot wire from the batteries, Mine went to a block that was actually a circuit breaker. I reset that and that fixed the issue.

Tags
converter