Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

What Were They Thinking?

After taking possession of the new Vibe earlier this year, and getting the quality control issues fixed, I've been able to spend some time in the trailer. Upon doing so I've noticed some things that I have questioned and wondered, "What were they thinking?"
1. Why would a designer put the converter behind the interior wall of the front storage area? Every time I depart for a trip I would have to remove the back wall to turn on the converter, which is located next to the water heater. As a result I used a 4 inch hole saw to cut an opening and reach in with a broom handle to push the button on the converter. May consider relocating the converter in the Spring.
2. Sky light in the shower provides light during the day. But the shower curtain blocks the ceiling light located in the bathroom. If you're like me and shower at night before turning in (to get the smell of the fire off) the sky light is useless. Shower area is dark. Now I'm looking for a LED light to stick in the shower to brighten things up. I'm open for suggestions.

I will give credit where it's due. I do like having the water heater vent on the street side. With an 18 month old grandchild running around I'm not as concerned about her getting burned on the hot vent. Nice thought.

All in all we are happy with the Vibe. More living space as we wanted with the bunkhouse floor plan but we did sacrifice outside storage space compared to my 2008 Flagstaff.

Enjoy the remainder of the season. Squeezing in a few more trips here in the northeast before season ends. Hope the heater is fixed.
msimonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

My unit is not like yours so I don't understand why you want to turn your converter off and on. Mine stays on all the time.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
My unit is not like yours so I don't understand why you want to turn your converter off and on. Mine stays on all the time.
X2. Ive owned 3 RV's and did not even know they had an on/off switch..LOL. I just know mine turns on when a flip on the main breaker after connecting shore power. Never see a reason to turn off the power switch on the converter. Probably why it is mounted where it is...

Now, if you are talking inverter???

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Would a clear plastic shower curtain help with the light issue at night? I think Costco has some small battery operated LED lights that could be added to the shower ceiling.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Maybe I have the terminology wrong. I was told that when I am not plugged into shore power the unit needs to be on to run the residential refrigerator. I turn it on when I'm towing and was told that it didn't need to run when I'm hooked to shore power. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Clear curtain won't help. Going to look at the battery operated lights. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

On the GT 329 DS the inverter on/off button is located by the door. No need to open any doors or cut holes to get to the inverter.
Our traveling companions: Papaya and Satang
Birdman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimonelli View Post
Maybe I have the terminology wrong. I was told that when I am not plugged into shore power the unit needs to be on to run the residential refrigerator. I turn it on when I'm towing and was told that it didn't need to run when I'm hooked to shore power. Am I missing something? Thanks.
The converter converts 110VAC from shore power to 12V to run lights and 12V appliances as well as charge the battery.
The inverter takes 12VDC from the batter and converts it into 110VAC to run the fridge.

There should be a remote switch to turn inverter on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Professional Texan

I am considering this:
JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I have that exact kit. I have read reviews by people who are happy with it but I have pretty much decided it is nearly worthless. My laptop (macBook Pro) picks up campground wifi much better - even using outdoor antenna. I use it (when it can get the wifi) to connect to the campground wifi and then connect our laptops and phones, etc. to the JefaTech router. You would probably get better results with the JefaTech's XR model, or spend a little more and get a WiFi Ranger.
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote