Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

179 Questions

I bought a used (2014) 179 earlier this year and because we are also sorting out a new (to us) home we didn't get a chance to do anything with the R-Pod this summer, other than use it for an office occasionally. It's going to spend the winter in our front yard and, today, I finally got a little time to start sorting the camper out to get ready for next spring.

I discovered 3 things that I can't figure out on my own and since Forest River doesn't see fit to create manuals for the company's campers, I'm searching for advice.

1) The trailer has a "keyless" entry keypad, but I have no idea how to use it or program it and the previous owners didn't either.
2) I've read that the water heater element should be removed during winter storage. Where the heck is it?
3) The trailer spent most of the summer under a cover, but when the weather cooled off I pulled the cover and we started personalizing the trailer and doing maintenance. This week, I discovered the kitchen window, apparently, leaks. The top of the window seal has pulled away from the body about 1/8"-3/16" all across the top of the window. I assume that's where the water came from. Apparently, this isn't a new thing because after seeing the path of the water it's obvious that some kitchen cabinet damage occurred from past water incursion. Is this a known 179 fault and is there a better fix than just applying sealant to the top of the window?

thanks,
Tom
2wheelgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

2) Anode rode can be removed to drain the tank for the winter, you can thread tape it and hand thread it in the hole to keep bugs out.

3) reads like you may have some delamination going on if the window has been " pulled away" or been pushed away from the wall.

Is the wall smooth or rippled?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #3

The wall looks smooth. It just looks like the top of the window frame didn't properly mate with the curve in the roof, leaving a gap at the top seam. That might not be where the leak is, but it's my best guess.

Thanks for the heater element tip.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelgeezer View Post
The wall looks smooth. It just looks like the top of the window frame didn't properly mate with the curve in the roof, leaving a gap at the top seam. That might not be where the leak is, but it's my best guess.

Thanks for the heater element tip.
As far as your leak it isn't a common thing for 179's in particular but those windows on the curve need more attention to their sealing and maintenance than other caulk areas on your Pod. All of them Pod wide should be inspected several times a year but caulk along the window if it needs is the first step. All the windows will look as how you describe though, they themselves aren't curved and so what you see should be normal.

You can search online for Bauer Products and get the lock manual and programming instructions on their website, or if you want to email me I'd be happy to send the file to you. Rpod.Spotter@gmail.com It's a pretty easy reprogram as I recall, actually see if you can read it from this pic I have first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lock code instr.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	91746
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymooses View Post
As far as your leak it isn't a common thing for 179's in particular but those windows on the curve need more attention to their sealing and maintenance than other caulk areas on your Pod. All of them Pod wide should be inspected several times a year but caulk along the window if it needs is the first step. All the windows will look as how you describe though, they themselves aren't curved and so what you see should be normal.

You can search online for Bauer Products and get the lock manual and programming instructions on their website, or if you want to email me I'd be happy to send the file to you. Rpod.Spotter@gmail.com It's a pretty easy reprogram as I recall, actually see if you can read it from this pic I have first.

Attachment 91746
Good to know. There aren't any other flat-on-a-curved-surface windows on my 179, but I'll climb the walls and inspect the tops of the other windows before I bag it up for the winter.

Thanks for the lock tip. I pulled the panel and the instructions are there. I'll wait for spring before installing new batteries, but it was good to get the old dead ones out before winter.