Old 02-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
Canadian Member
Originally Posted by glfillion View Post
.... Secondly, your Tv in underpowered for this type of trailer! It weighs 3,000# empty so with the additions of food clothing, suitcases, kids in the back seat you will be woefully underpowered. you need at least a half ton pick-up with 6-7000# tow rating. The tail will be wagging the dog with your set-up!
I'd suggest that a mid-sized pickup like a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier or perhaps a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon will probably handle any R-Pod without much difficulty, so a full size 1/2 ton pickup is not a must. If you use the Jeep for off-roading, the 4x4 Tacoma is very capable in that world.

I agree with bikendan that a Jeep Wrangler will struggle with an R-Pod and finding something with a GVWR of under 3500# would be wise. If the OP is willing to move up to a mid-size truck they'll have more options but to go to anything in a regular TT longer than 19' will IMHO require a full size pickup.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Hey, I understand, "It's a Jeep thing". Personally, I love sleeping under canvas or in a tent. I keep a backpack and tent with me always, and there are times when I'll sleep outside on the ground instead of in our camper, which is currently a '16 Georgetown. (granted some of those times may be forced upon me ) I do think you would be better off looking into a tent model camper. The most important thing is to get out there and start camping. Work your way through the different styles (if you want) and just have fun!

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
I have a customer that has a 178 and two grandsons 4 & 6. Usually only one grandson comes with when camping as the dinette become a "fussy zone" with "move over" and "stop touching me". They pulled with a Honda Ridgeline with no issues or complaints.

I think you would be looking for another unit too soon- which means you will most likely take a big loss.

Pop ups are good for some families. If your area gets a lot of rain it could hamper the fold up process. Ours started to wear on us after 2 years with the time it took to set up and tear down. Then my wife's health steered us towards a hard side unit. I suggest renting a few times as others have suggested to make sure you like the experience.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote