Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

2014 V6 Highlander towing an RPOD 179

Has anyone owned or can answer the question "is a 2014 V6 Highlander" that has a brake controller able to safely handle a 179 RPOD. I am aware that this SUV is rated to pull 5,000 lbs. and the RPOD gross weight with full tanks and gear is about 3,800 lbs. but I question if it is not exceedingly hard on the transmission and/or braking system. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

TerryLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

You are well under your max towing weight and should be fine, with that said give thought to your towing speed. The force placed on your running gear is not liner with speed as the speed go up the torque/power increases greatly. Trying to climb hills at speed with max RPM is tough on any rig. As for the breaks with a good brake controller and the trailer brakes adjusted correctly you should be fine.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #3

Terry, this might be too late, but FWIW, we have a Tacoma. The big issue is whether you have the tow package as much as anything else. The V-6 will do the job, or it does on our 179, but the dealership referenced our VIN over the phone and could tell us if we should try to pull a trailer. Good luck.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

The Highlander is rated at 5000 lbs if and only if it has the factory installed tow package. I believe it is a larger alternator and transmission cooler, possibly other items. There have been instances of folks getting tow capacity misquoted by dealer(s). Has to have the tow package.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

I had a mid-sized suv rated for 5200# that I used to tow a 3500# travel trailer. The difference between it and a Highlander is that it was a full frame rwd/4wd vehicle....a little beefier than your Highlander.

While it was already set up to tow, I added heavier duty shocks, an auxiliary trans cooler, and I used a wdh. You should check with Toyota to make sure you can use a wdh.

Also, check your payload capacity. This varies by individual vehicle and is dependent on your vehicles options.

My suv did surprisingly well with the tt. It was not winning any races, but that was ok. It did not have “tow/haul”, but I locked out 4th gear and it pulled great.

You might be ok, but take the proper precautions and be prepared to be pushed around a little.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
rbq

Last summer my daughter rented an Rpod to try it out towing with her Highlander. We ended up driving to a campground that was at 10000 feet, a gain of 5500 feet from where we live. It was her first time towing & it handled it well. Watch the weight & you should be fine. Just a note this was the first time that I was able to see how the wireless brake controller worked. Unit was on tongue of trailer & she had a control that just plugged into the 12 volt plug on the dash. After researching this type of controller I told my daughter that we would have to wire power to the RV plug to run that type of controller. Followed instructions on youtube & it worked just perfect for her.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

I have a 2014 Highlander V6 Limited with tow package and tow a Rockwood HW296 PUP just fine. Loaded up we are about 4,500 pounds. I also installed a brake controller (100% needed for this much weight IMO) and am using the Recurve R3 WDH with sway control as well which keeps the vehicle totally level while driving. I wanted to give my vehicle as much "help" as possible but after taking it on a couple trips I feel totally confident in the Highlanders ability to safely tow that much weight. As everyone says, it isn't the ability to tow that's the problem, it is the ability to stop. The Highlander easily gets the trailer moving, even under steep grades but the brake controller and WDH keep it stopping and tracking smoothly along the way.

tonytiger3535 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, towing