Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #1

A-Frame to R-Pod?

I am real close to making the commitment to sell my Rockwood 2012 A122 and buy a 2015 R-177, but I would like to hear from anybody that has made this switch. I am curious about the towing experience and overall satisfaction of upgrading to a Pod. I still like my A-Frame and I'm having second thoughts if this is a good move.
None of my concern is about my TV, I have a 2010 4Runner and it is already set up properly for towing (Airbags, Ext.trans cooler, Brake Controller, Friction sway control).

I would really like to hear from former A-Frame owners.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

Just traded a Forest River A frame for an R-pod 179. Very pleased with the trade. The first thing I noticed when driving down the interstate was that you can see the wheels from the tow vehicle (2005 Lexus RX 330), it tows differently than the A frame but not worse. I am towing with a sway controller with the pod and did not with the frame.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #3

We actually end up with lots of owners who come from A-Frames. Just spent a week at one of our rallies with 2 owners who used to have them and were part of their clubs and groups in the past.
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

We went from an 2009 Aliner Scout to a 2014 RPod 177. Loved our Aliner, it was a hard side tent on wheels and met our needs perfectly, until I spent ALL camping season in a walking cast.... Hubby surprised me last year with the 177 and I am officially spoiled and totally happy with it! The Aliner was a breeze to tow, could forget it was back there, set up in just minutes and kept us dry and toasty. The 177 tows very well behind our F150 (yes, we've been told that's overkill), sets up in just minutes, AND has a potty! Okay, you clomp-clomp-clomp to the bath house in the middle of the night and see if you don't think that's a luxury! We love being outside, so for the most part we still cook, eat and clean up in a dish pan outside. But I have to admit it's been very nice, on the occasions we've been confined to quarters by weather, to have 'facilities' and running water inside. In a nut shell, we're very happy with the RPod and glad we 'moved up'.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

rloerke campdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I am real close to making the commitment to sell my Rockwood 2012 A122 and buy a 2015 R-177, but I would like to hear from anybody that has made this switch. I am curious about the towing experience and overall satisfaction of upgrading to a Pod. I still like my A-Frame and I'm having second thoughts if this is a good move.
None of my concern is about my TV, I have a 2010 4Runner and it is already set up properly for towing (Airbags, Ext.trans cooler, Brake Controller, Friction sway control).

I would really like to hear from former A-Frame owners.
I traded my A-Frame in for an R-Pod last spring. Get a little less MPG but my Chrysler Town & Country with equalizer hitch set up handles it just fine. I got the hitch because my van is front wheel drive.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Hi. Sold our A122 and bought an RPod 171. We did a TV upgrade to a Dodge Durango, just because of the additional towing ability. The Dodge Journey would have pulled the 171, but we erred on the side of caution.
Love that we don't have to set it up (even though the A122 was easy). Just getting a bit older and don't need the hassle!!
AND it does have a toilet.
Pretty much a similar layout for eating and sleeping as the A122. Bigger fridge, convection microwave. Don't have air cond. Don't use the Television. Liked the outside bbq setup on the A122 that should be on the 171, but.....
Wouldn't go back.

Gary & Linda S
Crowsnest Pass, Alberta
2017.5 RPod 179
Dodge Durango 3.6l AWD
2017 - 5 Trips - 46 Days 8172km
Gary Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame