Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Anyone towing an R-POD with a Jeep Wrangler JKU?

I currently have a Sunseeker RV and tow my Jeep behind it but have been considering a small trailer to tow behind the Jeep instead. I know the Jeep isn't the best choice for trailer towing and I do plan to stay inside its limits, but I'm love the Jeep and will be keeping it.

If I make the change, the R-POD is at the top of my list. I know there are Wranglers towing them so I am curious how they do in the mountains. Any over heating issues? Are you able to get up and more importantly down the mountains well?

What about 2-lanes through the mountains? I currently stay on highways and interstates with my setup because it is so big. My hope is to get into the country more and make stops at roadside attractions that I just can't do with the RV and Jeep behind it.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #2

We have an Rpod 182g and drag it with our 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with stock size tires, Automatic and 3.73 gears.
I have air bags and a weight distribution hitch. The air bags are probably overkill.
So far so good, but have not done any mountains with it yet. I do not tow faster than 65mph ever..
I recently purchased a SuperChips TD2 tuner to give a small boost in power and to get a “Towing” tune that will help manage the transmission shift points.
We’ll be leaving on a 2500+ mile trip with it on Monday and can tell you more when we get to our winter destination..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A46D2116-056A-444B-8ED6-375E54FBCF80.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	188698  

R-Pod 182G
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to baldeagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I currently have a Sunseeker RV and tow my Jeep behind it but have been considering a small trailer to tow behind the Jeep instead. I know the Jeep isn't the best choice for trailer towing and I do plan to stay inside its limits, but I'm love the Jeep and will be keeping it.

If I make the change, the R-POD is at the top of my list. I know there are Wranglers towing them so I am curious how they do in the mountains. Any over heating issues? Are you able to get up and more importantly down the mountains well?

What about 2-lanes through the mountains? I currently stay on highways and interstates with my setup because it is so big. My hope is to get into the country more and make stops at roadside attractions that I just can't do with the RV and Jeep behind it.

Thanks.
We have a 2014 JKU Sahara and have been towing a 2013 R-Pod 177 for over three years now. We've been from one side of Canada to the other, and just got back from an 8,371 kms trip to Newfoundland. We've towed 'The Pod' with the Jeep for close to 33,000 kms with ZERO problems. Even climbing through the Rockies from Alberta to British Columbia was no problem. The electric braking system works really well, and the Jeep's own descent control adds to good braking. We've never experienced any brake problems. In particular, we have never had brake-fade, even while descending serious hills like Rogers Pass on the Glacier Highway (4,400 ft.). The Jeep JKU is a very capable tower. We have a stabilizer system, which works really well (Equalizer). We keep our speed down to 110 KPH (68 MPH), even on smooth, flat highways. That helps with gas consumption too.

The only change we made to our Pod was to add the factory riser kit. Given some the roads we knew we'd be on, we decided it was a good spend of CAD$120.

The only negative is gas consumption, which ranges from 12 thru' 16 mpg while towing, versus an average of 23 mpg in normal use. But that's an acceptable part of towing.

I hope this is (i) not too late to help, and (ii) helpful...if you haven't figured out what you're doing!

baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
r-pod, towing