Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Question Battery Maintenance While in Storage

I am new to RV'ing and have recently purchased a 2018 R-Pod 180 with solar. I recently built a garage for it at our place in New Mexico. Considering that I may have to store it in this garage for 3 or 4 months unattended over winter, would it be better for me to plug my R-Pod 180 into a 110 outlet to maintain a constant battery charge or would it be better to disconnect both batteries (I have two - one is for solar)? If I do leave it plugged in, should I put it on a timer so it will only charge a few hours a day? I am not sure if this R-Pod 180 has a trickle charger or whether even if that would still be safe to leave plugged in unattended for 3 months. I have googled this topic and have gotten a lot of varying answers. Some say even trickle charging causes the fluid to dry out and get sulfate deposits. Also, does this R-Pod have a battery disconnect switch somewhere or is removing terminals the only way to disconnect power if I decide to go that route? Any insights would be appreciated.
Redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

I'd start by finding out what brand/model of Converter you have. Some quick net searching will tell you if it's just a converter (doubtful) or if it has a multi-stage charging circuit (probable).

If it has a multi-stage charger I'd just leave it plugged in and check the fluid levels monthly.

Not leaving it plugged in can be worse as most batteries will self discharge a given amount even if nothing is connected. Depending on age and condition, this self discharge can leave you with totally dead battery(s) and that's usually the end of their life.

I leave mine ( equipped with a Progressive Dynamics 9260 converter that has "Charge Wizard" built in. Charges in three phases and when in storage mode every 20+ hours of no use it gives the battery a 10-15 minute "goose" of higher voltage to keep the electrolyte from stratifying and lessen sulfation.

I haven't had to add water for over a year now and I leave my trailer plugged in whenever I'm not on the road. Longest time was while I was recovering from heart surgery, last September til this last April. As I said, ZERO water use.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

Hello,

First, a pod does not have a battery disconnect installed from factory. Many of us have installed them. I would never put a charger on a battery and leave it unattended. The timer is a non-issue. The convertor is the pod is a 3 phase charger, it will charge battery accordingly. I know I do have to adjust my fluid levels here at house for a pod that is connected 24/7. For the period you are talking about I would remove the battery's and maintain them at your residence.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Don't think Rpods have a factory battery disconnect switch. But your dealer should've shown you it, if it did.
I put one on our HTT and I could store it with no electric hookups for 4 months, with very little battery drainage.
If i do have shore power available, I leave it plugged in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

In a garage, I would forget the converter and just connect a small “good quality” battery maintainer like a Battery Tender or similar. I have left them connected for years on my vintage vehicle batteries and never damaged a battery. They will keep the battery(s) charged without overcharging and boiling the water out. If there is a battery disconnect switch, open it. If there is no such switch, pull the fuses for things like propane detectors and radio. I find that a lot easier and safer than disconnecting battery cables. There is no sense powering a large converter to maintain a battery charge in storage. I cannot wait to read converters don’t use much power unless they are outputting a lot of power.

As batteries age, they will self-discharge faster. And unless the sulfate that forms on the lead plates from storage is broken down through an equalization charge of some sort or other means, the battery will lose capacity even faster than keeping it on a safe maintenance charge.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

3 Stage converter would be fine. Most TTs and RVs are connected to shore power for weeks and months with no issue what so ever. A charged battery will be fine for 3 or 4 months if you disconnect the negative lead as well. Self discharge is no more than 5% so after 4 months you would be still over 80% SOC. No problem there either.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

just un hook the batteries and put a charge on them after a couple months . they will not lose that much in a couple months and most battery tenders are junk . no need to keep the battery at 100% all the time . if it drops to 80% in a couple months that's fine . just charge it up
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance, storage