Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Black Tank Flush

My new 179 has a black tank flush port which I think is a fantastic idea, but does anyone know why it was mounted on the right (passenger) side of the coach while all the other hookups/ports are on the driver's side? I've only seen one dump station that had a hose, in addition to the short clean-up hose mounted on a pole, that could be used to flush out the black tank. It seems counter-intuitive to me. What do others of you do? Do you carry an additional hose that will reach around to the other side of the coach? If so, do you find faucets in the dump station where you could attach such a hose? I wouldn't want to use my regular water hose for this since dump stations warn about the water being non-potable. It seems like something designed by someone who has never been camping. The one time I found a hose available for this purpose at St. George Island campground near Apalachicola, Florida, it flushed out all kinds of "stuff" that remained after I had finished dumping and the tank seemed to be empty! No wonder the sensors in the tank usually are not accurate! Anyone have any insight into this?

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

I use my flush every trip, but only on full hookup sites (which is mostly where we camp).

However, for the hose at a dump station, I've seen people use a water thief or water bandit device on a hose to connect to the water spigot that purposely doesn't have a threaded connection for a hose. You could even get one of those cheap expanding flex hoses that take up very little space and use it for non potable water.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22484-W.../dp/B000EDOSKG
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

RandK-M - We predominantly camp at sites with water and electric. I had not thought of looking for a place to do this that had a sewer hookup as well. To do that, however, I might well have to travel some distance with a full black tank. I try not to haul the stuff around. That's why we usually camp at sites with dump stations, but your suggestion would be workable. Thanks.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

It isn't really necessary to use the flush every time you dump as long as you follow the basics like not dumping until the tank is at least 2/3 full. I do, but We most always have full hookups. I installed the Hurst Miracle Probe sensors in my tank and those along with flushing keep my tank gauges working accurately.

Another thing you can do as an alternative to using the flush when you have to use a dump station is to dump a bucket of water down the toilet right after you dump with the dump valve still open. The rush of water from the bucket will help to flush leftover solids left in the bottom of the tank.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

I only worry about rinsing my tank if the trip is ending and I don't plan on using it for a while.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Rinse EVERY time - especially if you are an occasional camper and your unit is stored for several weeks. The debris you left in the tank will turn into cement

Better yet, after you dump (and rinse) before you leave camp (and especially if you are going to store the unit), dump all your unused ice down the toilet along with a couple gallons of water - toss in some pine sol for odor control, and drive home. If possible just before you get home, stop and dump and put 5 or so gallons of water in the black tank (we have a free public dump station at our rest areas)

When you go out again in X weeks, your black tank will be primed and more importantly debris free!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

I moved mine. I removed the hose from the black tank on passenger side. Built a bracket that mounts a hose barb just above black tank drain. Used a 1/2" flex hose with a back flow valve to run from new hose barb to black tank. My tank flush is now next to my black tank drain.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

I just bought a 179 and finished the first trip. When I connected a hose to the black water flush and turned it on, it seemed to shut off automatically when the tank indicators were at the 1/2 level. Is there some sort of auto shutoff on water entry?
Thanks, Ken
kblitchington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblitchington View Post
I just bought a 179 and finished the first trip. When I connected a hose to the black water flush and turned it on, it seemed to shut off automatically when the tank indicators were at the 1/2 level. Is there some sort of auto shutoff on water entry?
Thanks, Ken
No auto shutoff. I have a guess though. If by "seemed shut off" you mean the noise stopped, it was probably because once it reached about half full the sprayer was under the water level and went silent.

Personally, I don't run my flush with the dump valve closed. I know many do, but I'm always afraid to get distracted and overflow. I just run the flush with the dump valve open until the water runs clear. It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes for me to get clear water flow.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #10

Black Water Flush on R-Pod

Ray,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll bet you're exactly right about the sound. It sure makes sense.
Regards, Ken
kblitchington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
<snip>

Personally, I don't run my flush with the dump valve closed. I know many do, but I'm always afraid to get distracted and overflow. <snip>
Ray
BTDT - nothing like remembering 30 minutes later and seeing water running out everywhere.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #12

I had the opportunity to tour the R-Pod factory in Dalles, Oregon this summer. While there I asked about the location of the flush port on the 179. I was told that it was placed there because of the configuration of the wet bath. The tour guide said that the building code required the flush valve to be a certain height above the black water take and the only place they could put it was on that side.
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank