Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Camping on Battery power

Im looking at a used rpod and just had this thought. How suited are rpods for camping on Battery power only? The one I am looking at comes with one battery and a solar kit. I don't know the size of the panel but the seller stated the kit was $1000 from the dealer. We will never camp anywhere with power hookups and I don't have a generator. So I'm guessing no AC, no microwave. But other than that it will be OK? No TV? Will we burn through the battery quickly? Thanks

Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Should be a fine boon docking trailer. Other than tank capacities, adding batteries is relatively simple. There is usually room on the tongue for a two battery setup. If not, I'm sure something could be made to work. 1,000 dollars from a dealer? Likely a low wattage panel. Go up on the roof and look. Also measure the size. Hopefully the PO either has or you can find some mcg info to help you determines (rated watts).

Old 04-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
Im looking at a used rpod and just had this thought. How suited are rpods for camping on Battery power only? The one I am looking at comes with one battery and a solar kit. I don't know the size of the panel but the seller stated the kit was $1000 from the dealer. We will never camp anywhere with power hookups and I don't have a generator. So I'm guessing no AC, no microwave. But other than that it will be OK? No TV? Will we burn through the battery quickly? Thanks
No outlets, no AC, no microwave. The furnace if you need to run it all night won't last long on a single battery.

For boondocking a 2 battery setup would be recommended. And it doesn't take $1000 to hook up solar to help keep the batteries topped off.
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Yep, everything but a/c, heated mattresses and microwave will work.
As was said, if you run the furnace all nite, your one battery could be dead by morning.
You should have a two battery setup, either a pair of 12v deep cycles or a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymooses View Post
No outlets, no AC, no microwave. The furnace if you need to run it all night won't last long on a single battery.

For boondocking a 2 battery setup would be recommended. And it doesn't take $1000 to hook up solar to help keep the batteries topped off.
Not sure I know what you mean on the solar. Nothing is hooked up theyre freestanding panels from what I understand. Panels are expensive from what I've seen. $1000 seemed way expensive but I was thinking from the dealer could be possible? Maybe I'm getting BSed?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

A 12 volt 15" TV gives a evening of enjoyment with not much lose of voltage.
Mountainman
Old 04-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Bob2 - For a $1000 I would hope that would be a panel and charge controller installed on the trailer. We purchased (2) 100 watt panels, a charge controller, battery monitor, and all the wiring for about $800. Our panels are kept on the ground so they can be in the sun all of the time.

You should definitely go with 2 deep cycle batteries. Depending on your electrical use and whether your camp sites are in full sun you would probably be better off with 200 watts of panels.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

solar

We boondock almost all winter with solar.

We purchased led bulbs off ebay for two dollars each. Incandescent bulbs are high energy users.

Our tv is 12v dc so we don''t have to run the inverter as inverters are pretty inefficient.

We installed two 6 volt trojan deep cycle batteries as our trailer came with marine starting batteries.

We have O2cool fans powered by D cell batteries if we need air circulation at night. We estimate we get 48 hours of operation on two d cell batteries.

We don't use the furnace. It will drain your batteries quickly. We use a Mr Buddy portable heater which is connected to the 20 pound outside tank. We don't use that heater at night. My wife is a quilter so at night we have lots and lots of quilts if we need them.

We have a 100w renology solar panel which I paid $192.20 for about three years ago. I attached about twenty feet of #10 wire so we can position it outside the trailer. We move the panel about every two hours because if the panel isn't aligned with the sun the output goes way down. Align the panel left to right so the shadow is perpendicular to the panel. Tilt the panel so the shadow behind the panel is short as possible.

A cloudy day or just a little bit of shade on the panel drops output quite a bit.

As I said my wife is a quilter so she has a sewing machine and a 100 watt iron. She uses them on sunny days only as using the power directly from the solar panel is a lot more efficient than charging batteries.

I have a Honda generator as backup but I hate the noise. We have used it once this winter as we had three days of rain.

Don't let your battery voltage drop below whatever voltage the manufacture recommends. Discharging the battery too much will severely shorten its life.

I wish more people would use solar and less noisy generators. Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

I have a 100 watt Renogy monocrystaline panel mounted as a portable, also. We have 2 12 volt batteries. 5 nights at the beach including 2 rather rainy days and the panel kept the batteries topped up every day. We used the furnace sparingly. Thermostat set to about 65 degrees. It cycled maybe 3-4 times each night.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
larryandamy

Solar and battery only is OK

I have 3 deep cycle 12VDC marine batteries and two - 100W Renogy solar panels with Renogy 30A charger. The Solar cost less than $500 with me installing it and buying all the connectors and heavy gauge cables. I also put in a battery switch with 1 battery/2 batteries/All batteries positions. I leave on"All" all day when I am charging with solar but switch to 2 batteries at night so I always have a backup battery. But I have never needed it and I run furnace at 65F all night. The solar charges at over 9 amps when needed and I have never run out of power yet. But I live in southern California and have not run into all day cloudy weather yet. Also I have not parked in shade yet... I am going to add a 3rd 100W portable solar panel on 30ft cable to use if I am parked in the shade.
I also installed a 2000W inverter that I am supposed to be able to run the microwave off of. I had to run 4 gauge wire from batteries to the inverter DC input as at 110VAC, 1500W output the inverter requires 150amps! It ran the microwave OK, but will drain your batteries big time... So I think will only be good for less than 5 minutes use. If I need AC or more microwave time... I run the generator.

Tags
battery, camping, power