Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Considering purchasing a new RP-178

This will be our first travel trailer as a family. Mostly looking at camping throughout the mid-Atlantic region and will pull it behind an Infiniti QX56. I'm guessing it's wise to install a brake controller and sway bar...best recommendations for a controller and/or sway bar?

The PHISHIV

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Welcome! We used to live in Louisa. We had a pop up for years when our kids were growing up. We loved camping in Virginia, West Virginia, and other near by states. We miss it. We are now purchasing a TT and will be camping again soon, as it should be delivered in the next week or two. At least this time we will have air conditioning! Can't think about camping in Florida without it. Enjoy your new TT!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISHIV View Post
This will be our first travel trailer as a family. Mostly looking at camping throughout the mid-Atlantic region and will pull it behind an Infiniti QX56. I'm guessing it's wise to install a brake controller and sway bar...best recommendations for a controller and/or sway bar?

The PHISHIV

It's not only wise but would be required for a trailer the size of the R-Pod. The Tekonsha brand is pretty common, the P2 or P3 versions. The P2 will have less bells and whistles but also cost less and do everything you need to do just fine.

Sway bars with Pods are often recommended by some but we certainly have plenty of owners in our groups and clubs that don't use one. A common combo is sometimes the Fastway equalizer E2 combo which is a weight distribution hitch and sway setup. I personally have used that combo along with the P2 for 5 seasons now.

There really are a lot of other combos and options. But depending on your towing experience and comfort level a sway bar is pretty nice to help keep your Pod in line. They don't have a huge problem with wagging or moving around a lot but having gone to many Rallies over the years and traveled behind owners using one and not using one you can see a difference in how well the Pod tracks behind the vehicle and how much it moves.

Happy to have you and your family in an R-Pod, you'll not find a more fun trailer to own or community to be a part of! Hope to see you out there someday!!
kymooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISHIV View Post

The PHISHIV

Former R-Pod owner here. The Q should tow your RPod perfectly. As mentioned above, and you'll read on the boards, the Prodigy P2 and P3 are the most recommended brake controllers. You can't go wrong with either one (I have the P2). The Equalizer E2 weight distribution with built-in sway control is also very solid advise (I have the 4-point Equalizer). I know it's personal preference, but I used the chain style weight distribution with a sway bar for just a few months and didn't care for it. Having to get out and unhook the sway bar before backing up or tight turns (or worse, forgetting to unhook it) was a pain.

Good luck with your new Pod.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

Thanks folks! Looks like I should be covered by spending just under $500!

The PHISHIV

Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Considering purchasing a new RP-178

We will be towing our newly purchased 2011 rpod 177 with a Chevy Avalanche. Do we need the brake controller? If so where would I go to get one installed? I'm new to all this. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKIPOD View Post
We will be towing our newly purchased 2011 rpod 177 with a Chevy Avalanche. Do we need the brake controller? If so where would I go to get one installed? I'm new to all this. Thank you!
Absolutely. Don't even consider towing without it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."
this_is_nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 AM   #8

The dealer can install it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."
this_is_nascar is offline   Reply With Quote