Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Generator for Rpod 178

Howdy all. I am looking to buy a generator for my rpod and i am concerned about noise. If I dry camp I will be remote but I want to hit national parks too. Is there restrictions on sound levels? I am looking at a hybrid inverter through champion that puts out 64 dbs at 23 feet. Would this be acceptable for most campsite?

Docb91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docb91b View Post
Howdy all. I am looking to buy a generator for my rpod and i am concerned about noise. If I dry camp I will be remote but I want to hit national parks too. Is there restrictions on sound levels? I am looking at a hybrid inverter through champion that puts out 64 dbs at 23 feet. Would this be acceptable for most campsite?
Too loud. A hybrid inverter generator is still an open-frame generator.
YES, national park campgrounds have noise level restrictions AND generator usage restrictions.
Look at the Champion 3100w inverter generator or the Firman 3200w inverter generator that Costco has for $639 with free shipping.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #3

Been using the same genset for 5 years on my 178. Generac IX2000. Used it boon docking, at home and in camps during approved hours. I can do most anything with a little creativity and I'm not hauling around a big genset power I don't need. Fits on my front rack, handy and light. Works fine.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Too loud. A hybrid inverter generator is still an open-frame generator.
YES, national park campgrounds have noise level restrictions AND generator usage restrictions.
Look at the Champion 3100w inverter generator or the Firman 3200w inverter generator that Costco has for $639 with free shipping.

You think the fireman can run the ac, refrigerator, and maybe tv at once?
Docb91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
The refrigerator will cool best on LP and only use an amp or two of DC power to do it. The TV only draws somewhere between 1-3 amps of AC power. The converter will pull around 3 - 7+ Amps of AC power depending on how well charged your batteries are...

Just don't try to use the microwave / convection oven or any other AC power hog, like a big hair dryer, while the A/C is on.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #6

You can run the AC with converter off and turn converter on with AC off with a 2K. Granted Micro can hinder, been doing it for 5 years with a 2K.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Why would you run the fridge on electric? Run it on propane so you don't need make the generator work harder. Same thing for the WH.
It'll run the a/c and keep your batteries charged.
The tv shouldn't require much power.
You probably will have to turn the generator off at 8pm, in national parks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Tundra 2014

Generator

60 DB @ 15 ' is the standard. Using a 2400 Yamaha Inverrtor, 2400 starts w/ 2000 running very quiet. We used for 4 years at deer camp w/ 8 k A/C. Runs 13.5 A/C on trailer and LED lights. It weighs 75 lb. empty, been pleased w/ quality.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #9

I've had great luck with my WEN 56200i but it does have its limits. I bought it to NOT run the AC. It will power everything else in the trailer and is very quiet.

They do have larger generators that would run your ac with ease. It would also be worth checking how many maps your ac actually uses. Those rpods are small trailers and may not have very big units.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #10

Before getting a generator I think you should do a power needs inventory, bigger is better only when you don't have to move it .

We have an A-frame and our RYOBI 2,300-Watt Inverter Generator meets all of our needs so far and it is small enough for me to pick up and quite when running. Our use is AC and recharging the battery during the day. At night we use the 12v system. Like others have said the refrigerator is run on propane.

Black-ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator