Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

How long does the gas last in a 172?

Only have (1) 20 gallon tank. Going for an 8 day vacation. We will have AC the entire time. Looks like I have to use gas for:

Heat (nightly lows in the 40s)
Hot water (do you leave it on all the time or just when you
"think" you will need hot water?)
cooking (only cooking breakfast on the stove, bacon and
eggs etc)

I have no idea the consumption rate, but have noticed the "squeak" (which I assume to be the gas pump?) is faster the more gas appliances I am using.

Sorry for all the newbie questions...first RV, first camping trip in less than 2 weeks over 500 miles away.
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

Heat will suck up the propane. I would use the hot water when needed. Got a BBQ grill tank you could take as a spare?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

I’m assuming you have one 20 pound tank and not a 20 gallon tank. If you had 20 gallons of propane you certainly wouldn’t have to worry about usage for an 8 day trip.

The furnace is the biggest usage of propane and since you say you will have AC then I would purchase a small space heater to supplement the furnace and cut down on propane usage.

When we first began RVing we would turn on the water heater in the morning and after using the hot water we would turn it off and not turn it back on until just before dinner so we had hot water for washing dishes.

Cooking on the stove doesn’t use much propane at all, even with all the burners turned on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

I second Oakman. Get a space heater and use it for heat. That's what we all do. Only if you are boon-docking should you use the propane furnace. And if that is the case you will need another battery cause the furnace blower motor can suck a battery down like nobody's business.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #5

We did 6 weekends on 2 full 20 lb tanks one week while we were away from the camper the shore power was disconected and the fridge ran on lp till the battery went dead. This was early spring in wisconsin and we ran the heat at night lows in the same range our total usage was about 3/4 of a tank.
What are the daytime temps going to be if they are 65 plus you can proably get by with just an extra blanket at night.
We just came back from a week lows mid 40s to 50s with highs in the 70s we didn't run the heat at all yes we are in a larger camper but solar gain keeper the camper warm enough we actually just used the air conditioner didn't need the heat slept with an extra blanket.
We used more propane for our outdoor stove then in the camper

I would recommend that you take your tank and have it filled not exchanged. Then my next question does the camp ground offer fills or exchange if you run out
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Site Team

[QUOTE=flyinghigh;1544738]Only have (1) 20 gallon tank. Going for an 8 day vacation. We will have AC the entire time. Looks like I have to use gas for:

"think" you will need hot water?)]

If you have electricity to run the a/c, why can't you run the WH on electricity? Unless it's a propane-only WH.

If we're in the trailer, we leave the WH on, off if we leave.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

It is a propane only...ok, I will bring along a couple spare 20lb tanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

I use a space heater whenever it's cold. Using the furnace just sucks up the propane. If you get one, make it a ceramic heater.

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Site Team

Easiest way is to bring one additional 20# tank. That way you can always go get the empty filled when it runs out. X2 on the small space heater, but remember you have to manage electric usage so you may have to turn it off when you run the microwave.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Why use your propane for anything but hot water if you will have electric hook-up?

I don't boondock so what I do is carry a ceramic space heater for when we need heat. Thermostat controlled and anti-tip protected. Plus no condensation build up from using the propane heater. (I know others disagree and say that a properly installed heater does not have condensation issues. My factory installed one has huge issues with condensation)

I bought a a couple of electric hot plates at one of the dollar stores (less than $10 each) and cook with those. Why use my propane when their electricity is free?

I turn the water heater on first thing in the morning for hot water. After cooking/washing it gets turned off until dinner time for more cooking/washing. Water stays warm enough all day for incidental hand washing, etc.. Heater (and tanks) turned off when I go to bed for the night.

Again, why use your propane when their electricity is included in your fee? I bought my TT 5 years ago this month. It has two 20# tanks. I have used 2 tanks of propane in that time - - and that includes a 10 week, 7,000 mile, 13 state trip a few years ago.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
It is a propane only...ok, I will bring along a couple spare 20lb tanks.
If you decide extra tanks is the way to go, be sure they are stored upright and secured very well. You don't want those things banging around unprotected in the back of your TV.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #12

Great idea Gaston. I will do electric space heater and plates...plus I called the campground and they refill propane tanks, so I am good to go.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
Only have (1) 20 gallon tank. Going for an 8 day vacation. We will have AC the entire time. Looks like I have to use gas for:

"think" you will need hot water?)
cooking (only cooking breakfast on the stove, bacon and
eggs etc)

I have no idea the consumption rate, but have noticed the "squeak" (which I assume to be the gas pump?) is faster the more gas appliances I am using.

Sorry for all the newbie questions...first RV, first camping trip in less than 2 weeks over 500 miles away.
Others may have already mentioned this,,, but if you are going to be where you have ele,,, use it for every thing you can,,, heater - ele frypan - toaster oven,,, we even use a hot plate to cook on !!! We have an old ele grill,,, but it is to slow,,, so we use a small gas grill,,,
and carry a couple of little tanks !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #14

Everyone usage is different. As has been mentioned the furnace is the big user. For us we no where close to use a 20lb bottle in a 10 day vacation and we use the water heater on gas, and the stove. Two 20lb bottles would last us all season.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas