Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Just bought 2010 Rpod 172...have some questions.

First "real" camper. Very excited. Seems to be in good condition.

First thing is where do I purchase the option fan for the Dometic fridge? PN is 241 2985-00. With the hot temps the fridge does not keep up going down the road when it is 95+ inside...no way to run the AC while driving, so thinking should purchase this optional fan.

If we use the gas to run the fridge while driving, is it fairly efficient or will we use up the entire tank in a 400 mile drive?

The battery is weak...recommendations for one that will fit in the factory box and serve us well?

Anything else we should know or be on the lookout for? Thanks so much in advance to all the knowledgeable users here.
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

I don't know what fridge you have, but if it's a 3-way, mine worked great on battery power while driving, and I just made a 3,500 mile trip from AZ to AK. I would have the camper plugged into my house the day before and start the fridge cooling down. I helped it by putting some blocks of ice in it, too. The day of, I'd load it up with already cold items, switch to batt power and go. Every time I stopped for the night, I'd hook up to shore power and switch the fridge to that and reverse in the morning before taking off. At one point I had to turn the fridge down a little since it was starting to freeze my milk. The freezer part also kept some steaks frozen even though I put them in there thinking they would thaw. I never ran on gas since I had either shore power or batt.

I looked this up, too, though since I had the same question. Apparently there's a pretty healthy debate on driving with the gas on since it presents a safety hazard, especially while filling up since there is an active flame along with fuel vapors. Many people said they do it all the time and shut it off at gas stations, others said they would never do it. One guy did say he actually lost his trailer due to a fire on the road.

If it's a two way, I guess you have to weigh the risks and know your state laws. I also had a Yeti-like Cabelas cooler that I kept perishable items in because I wasn't sure how good the fridge would work (again, pre-cooled). If it's a 3-way, I think you're fine using the system I used.
danotje21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

it is a 3 way fridge...hopefully I have the 12V wired into my 7 conductor plug. It was put in by the Toyota dealership, so should be good to go.
flyinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

If it's a 3-way, you should be good. I think gas is for dry camping (at least in all my research, that's what I determined). If you have the fridge on, but no power from your selected source, it will continually beep at you. I think it draws batt power for the controls. Your battery should charge from the vehicle or shore power, so while driving you are good unless like you mentioned, it isn't wired properly. I'm sure you can check that, but not sure how without a meter.
danotje21 is offline   Reply With Quote