Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #1

New Owner 2019 179 Anniversary Edition

As a new owner, what advice do you feel is most important for a new owner? Best accessories to add to our growing list? What not to do? Best way or time to reserve sites?

The attached link is the same options as our 179 with electric awning and outdoor kitchen. https://www.rvt.com/Rpod-179-Hood-Ri...99682-UX111457

Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

Outdoor kitchen, where is it at?

I started with tools and maintenance/safety needs. Everything to change a tire, a cheap torque wrench, a socket set, wrenches and screwdrivers. A multimeter. I also made a binder with all kinds of info I keep with Pod for info purposes. I have manuals on all the accessories, like micro, furnace, water heater, fridge, etc. I have rope, tie downs, straps, wiring, connectors, fuses etc. I started with a lot and have reduced it over the years.

mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

What mcarter said. We have a 2015 RP 179, after a while, I left the rope and straps at home, but not the ratcheting tie downs. Duct tape is your friend as are various length, size screws that all use the same driver, various length zip ties (can always trim down ones that are too long.) Bought good sockets, extensions that fit the tools I carry for the lug nuts . A little bottle jack to help with tire changes, too. An extra sewer hose, 30/20 and 50/30 power adapters, and leveling blocks ride along with the 2 water hoses for fresh and black water in the front compartment. Extra flash lights incl one that fits your head are in the rig somewhere.
There are a lot of thoughts and posts re camping, sites, timing. Nothing beats personal needs/research/experience. RV Park Reviews is a good place to start; call the parks and follow your instincts. If the call taker isn't responsive and helpful within reason, make another call. Remember its all an adventure. Take a couple good books, games, and lawn chairs; enjoy.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
Grammar Pedant

My advice is to get dedicated gear for the RV. So, if, for example, you want some screwdrivers to carry with you, then get a small toolbox and a new set of screwdrivers to carry permanently in the trailer. Same for all other tools, bedding, towels, games, cooking utensils, and so on. Everything you need, make sure that it stays with the trailer. Helps to minimize forgotten items and it just makes things a lot easier.

For camping, I don't like private campgrounds. I prefer USFS, state parks, and other public facilities. These are best reserved/researched on reserveamerica.com and reservations.gov. Around here, campgrounds open 6 months in advance (by calendar date, not by # of days) and it's best to book early. Some CGs will fill within an hour.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #5

We took our first several trips to commercial campgrounds until we got a feel for what we were doing.
Since you live in the Northwest, when you winterize make sure you remove any food stuffs, spices, etc. Read some of the other forum notes on winterizing. Its important here.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote