Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

New, Please Help

Hello and peace be to the forum. I am new to all of this. I am a disabled veteran and after evaluating many different options it seems that a travel trailer is my best solution. I need a place to live/stay on the grounds where I work. Traveling to and from where I work is getting to be too much and so I have been given permission to have a travel trailer on the land where I work (agriculture zoned). So I am going to trade in my current car for a 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 and then go and get either a 2018 or 18 Rpod. Not exactly sure which model but I am looking at the 179. My initial questions for the forum are these:

1. Comments, questions, concerns, etc. about the 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 pulling the R-pod? The Colorado Z71 has a 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT ENGINE and a 6-SPEED A/T. If more information about the Colorado is needed then let me know and I can provide it.

2. What exactly will I need to pull the R-pod home from the dealership and to the property where I will be living? In other words, the Colorado has a trailer hitch but I do not know what size ball I will need? Will I need to purchase some kind of wiring harness or does that come with the R-pod?

3. What else would I need to make this work? What am I overlooking?

There is power and water for the travel trailer at the work site where I will be living. I am going to use a portable septic initially until a permanent one can be put in place.

Please help me. I am sure there are many things I may not be taking into consideration here. I have done some research but I think I trust the information on this particular sub-forum about R-pods than some of the "at large" information I have found on the interwebs.

My set-up is not initially for RV-ing as I will be living in one place with the R-pod primarily. Sure, on occasion as time and vacation permit I would like to "get out there" and do some camping; but initially I am just concerned about getting the R-pod safely from the dealership to where I will be living in it. I believe that distance to be traveled is about 70 miles.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. May God reward your charity. Thank you for your time in advance. God bless you!
divinewillhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

1) The Colorado is either rated to tow 3500 lbs r 7000 lbs depending on whether is has the tow package. The R-POD has a GVWR of about 3800 lbs with a dry tongue weight of about 300 lbs, so you'll either be fine or a little over tow rating.

2) For just the trip home from the dealer you'll probably be fine just towing it on the ball. I'm not sure what size coupler the R-Pod has, so you'll need to find that out. The R-Pod comes with an umbilical cable that will operate the required lights and brakes.

3) If the Colorado has the towing package, it will have a 7-way trailer connector that the plug on the R-Pod will plug into. You'll need a brake controller if it doesn't have one.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

2” ball.
masonboswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #4

I can’t help with the Rpod questions but one of our work vehicles is a 2016 Colorado 4 door, long box with the 3.6l engine and I personally own a 2016 Silverado double cab with the 5.3l V8.

My Silverado turns easier, rides better, has tons more room, gets about the same mixed mpg and maybe 1-2 less on the highway and cost the same to buy it so be sure the Colorado works best for you. I don’t mind the Colorado but honestly it feels just like my old ‘95 S10 inside and the Silverado is a much better vehicle in my experience.

Thanks for your service and I wish you well in your endeavors.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

I towed with a 2016 Colorado 3.5, w/tow package. The ball is 2", with the tow package you will get a 7 pin connector. You will need a brake controller on the road, the P3 Tekonsha is great but has to be wired in. Would advise a sway bar for open road. I have a 178 and towed with a Colorado for over a year if you have any further questions. To be honest on day of purchase I towed it home with standard 2" ball, no brake controller, no sway. 7 pin connected, check with your dealer, some states have requirements on weight and brake controllers before you tow. The dealer can install and give you operational advice.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
1) The Colorado is either rated to tow 3500 lbs r 7000 lbs depending on whether is has the tow package. The R-POD has a GVWR of about 3800 lbs with a dry tongue weight of about 300 lbs, so you'll either be fine or a little over tow rating.

2) For just the trip home from the dealer you'll probably be fine just towing it on the ball. I'm not sure what size coupler the R-Pod has, so you'll need to find that out. The R-Pod comes with an umbilical cable that will operate the required lights and brakes.

3) If the Colorado has the towing package, it will have a 7-way trailer connector that the plug on the R-Pod will plug into. You'll need a brake controller if it doesn't have one.
Hello and thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

Would this be correct? Would I need a brake controller still? I have towed things before but to be honest I do not think I have ever had or used a brake controller?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-12-17-50-05-1.png
Views:	203
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	194455  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonboswell View Post
2” ball.
Thank you. I believe I have one already. Thanks be to God it is a 2" I need. God bless you.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I can’t help with the Rpod questions but one of our work vehicles is a 2016 Colorado 4 door, long box with the 3.6l engine and I personally own a 2016 Silverado double cab with the 5.3l V8.

My Silverado turns easier, rides better, has tons more room, gets about the same mixed mpg and maybe 1-2 less on the highway and cost the same to buy it so be sure the Colorado works best for you. I don’t mind the Colorado but honestly it feels just like my old ‘95 S10 inside and the Silverado is a much better vehicle in my experience.

Thanks for your service and I wish you well in your endeavors.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question and share your advice and experience. I was actually thinking the same thing when I also looked at I believe a 2016 Silverado. I may have to revisit the Silverado.

Thank you for thanking me for my service. I thank God for giving me the courage to have served. God bless you.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter View Post
I towed with a 2016 Colorado 3.5, w/tow package. The ball is 2", with the tow package you will get a 7 pin connector. You will need a brake controller on the road, the P3 Tekonsha is great but has to be wired in. Would advise a sway bar for open road. I have a 178 and towed with a Colorado for over a year if you have any further questions. To be honest on day of purchase I towed it home with standard 2" ball, no brake controller, no sway. 7 pin connected, check with your dealer, some states have requirements on weight and brake controllers before you tow. The dealer can install and give you operational advice.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. Your answer is very thorough.

Some follow-up, if I may: So if I understand you correctly; on the day of purchase and for me driving it "home" should I need anything in addition to what the Colorado already has (see picture of the rear bumper I have included in another thread)? I am in the state of Florida if that would help you answer my question regarding whether I will need this brake controller.

Also, when you say "the dealer can install and give you operational advice" are you referring to the Chevy dealer or the R-pod dealer?

I am trying to have all of the information "in hand" before I go next week because I often forget to ask things and people often take advantage of me because of my disability. So any additional information/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. God bless you.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Also, just as another option: can I rent a U-Haul truck and bring the R-pod "home" to the property I will be living on? If so, would the U-Haul have all of the necessary things i.e. brake controller, panel to plug the R-pod's umbilical cord into, etc.?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Site Team

YES you need a brake controller! And the truck needs to have the factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

Another option might be to have the dealer include delivery to your site in the purchase . It shouldn't cost much more than $100-$150 to have them deliver it that distance .
Teamster4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
YES you need a brake controller! And the truck needs to have the factory tow package.
Okay sir thank you. Do you know whether a newer Chevy vehicle (like the 2016 Z71 Colorado I am looking to buy) already has a jumper harness for the brake controller?

And would the R-pod dealer be the ones that could install the brake controller there on site at/during the purchase?

P.S. I also had a Zoe dog and she was my girl. Perhaps not a wonder dog like yours; but I loved her very much as far as animals go. She and her sister were my family for 14 years. Basically service dogs for me.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster4life View Post
Another option might be to have the dealer include delivery to your site in the purchase . It shouldn't cost much more than $100-$150 to have them deliver it that distance .
I was thinking about requesting that also. I am in contact with the "sales administrator" that has the R-pod I plan on getting next week. Is that a question for her before I go there?

Also, I suppose I should ask her about them installing that brake controller if I in fact get the Colorado Z71 and drive it there to bring the R-pod home?

Thank you for your time and your advice.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinewillhermit View Post
Okay sir thank you. Do you know whether a newer Chevy vehicle (like the 2016 Z71 Colorado I am looking to buy) already has a jumper harness for the brake controller?

And would the R-pod dealer be the ones that could install the brake controller there on site at/during the purchase?

Thank you.
Depending on its options and set-up, the Colorado MIGHT have a factory installed brake controller. Do you know its specs?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Depending on its options and set-up, the Colorado MIGHT have a factory installed brake controller. Do you know its specs?
Thank you for your reply sir.

Here is the link to the truck: https://www.jimbrownechevybuickgmc.c...-FL/3348783693

If the information cannot be confirmed by all that is in that link then if you could tell me what I should ask the sales rep. then I will send him an email before I go there on Tuesday.

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Do you know whether a newer Chevy vehicle (like the 2016 Z71 Colorado I am looking to buy) already has a jumper harness for the brake controller?

If the truck has the factory tow package, then it probably has the brake controller. At the very least it will have the plug-in under the dash for a third party controller. DOES THE TOW VEHICLE HAVE THE TOW PACKAGE is the question... if it does then you can check online what that includes... ie controller? An inquiry to etrailer dot com MAY be able to answer your questions... they have a very helpful staff. You may want to ask them about compatible controllers and connectors for yuor particular truck.

You may also be able to call a local Chevy dealer and get them to print you a line build sheet using the VIN#... this will tell you if the truck HAS a controller.

Any controller that has to be installed is usually a 5 minute job and the trailer dealer SHOULD be able to help. Then you calibrate ANY controller (including built-into the truck) after everything is hooked up including the trailer. Use youtube and ask how to setup a brake controller, (involves braking hard in a level parking lot to adjust the intensity of the braking force). The trailer should almost pull you to a stop with the trailer brakes.

The brake controller in the truck will control and actuate brakes on the trailer. All trailers over 2000# HAVE to have trailer brakes and the tow vehicle controller makes them work. Also a 12 battery on the trailer tongue is required also, because they actuate the trailer brakes should the trailer somehow jump off the tow ball.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #18
Site Team

I looked at the dealer's ad from the link provided above and I see no mention of a factory-installed brake controller.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #19

Lot of posts, first the truck new will NOT necessarily have brake controller, yes you need it, ASK. The dealer can install or the RV dealer but get it and make effort to understand it's operation. If in doubt ask dealer when you get truck. A rental truck may have what you need, but question to ask is does it have a 7 way and does it have a brake controller.

BTW the bumper is configured with tow package

Looks like FL law is any trailer over 3000 lbs requires brakes, the Pod is equipped with brakes.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #20

Thank you everyone for helping out so far. I have learned a lot in the few hours that you have all posted your replies. Please keep them coming.

So that I understand things so far: when buying the truck ask for the bill sheet (I know what that is--used to have an old 1970 SS Chevelle and that confirmed it was an SS, showed me the original color, etc.) because the bill sheet will show whether the truck has a brake controller or not.

If the truck DOES NOT have a brake controller then it is not necessarily a deal breaker for the truck, correct? I would simply need to buy one and have one installed at the dealer where I am getting the R-pod. Yes?

I had planned on getting the truck Tuesday and the R-pod Thursday God willing. But I may need to do more homework.

What other concerns do you all see (going back to my original or first few posts)?