Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

New r pod

Getting a 2015 r pod hood river, I think it's a 178. Towing with a 2007 Toyota Hylander. Any issues? Seems towing capacity is ok, but just checking. It's just me, husband and dog.
Mchenryma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

McHenry Ma: Hard to answer your question because of all the details you leave out of your post. What is the weight of the R-Pod; what is the towing capacity of your Hghlander? Does the Highlander have a towing package? How much additional weight in cargo do you intend to put in the RPod? My hunch is that there's no way you could make this work.

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

It'll likely depend on what you have in the Highlander. What towing package, etc. Figure on the R-Pod 178 weighing about 3500 lbs (empty plus some stuff), with about 320-350 lbs for the hitch weight.

If it is close, you can do it. Just be aware that you will putting extra wear and tear on the vehicle (transmission problems mostly). However, it is up to you. I am not a deputized member of the Weight Police, so won't tell you you're crazy!

Here is a pretty good article for explaining your towing capacity.
Trailering 101 - What Can My Vehicle Tow?
If you're good at math, do a search for the towing capacity formulas, find the yellow sticker somewhere in the Highlander's drivers'-side door frame, and figure it out. Your towing capacity will likely be 2000-3000 lbs, depending on what that sticker says. This means you are at or a little bit over your capacity (assuming you have 3000 lbs). However, that doesn't mean you have to despair. Plenty of people do it. Do they enjoy towing in the configuration? Not usually. However, it all depends on how far you're going, how fast you plan to go, are their mountains involved, Weight distribution hitch configuration, etc. The final decision is up to you.

Good luck with you're new home-away-from-home! I hope y'all have lots of fun times with it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

Went on Forest River site-says unloaded weight RP-178 is 2535#;hitch weight is 257. It says the load capacity is 1222#. We have a tow package and a cooling system on the Highlander and pull our 1950 Bayliner with car loaded to hilt. The info I got on the car was 3500# limit to tow. I don't think we'll be dry camping. We haven't picked it up yet...owners are repairing a leak under sink. Should we reconsider??? Will be Sad....I fell in love with it.
Mchenryma is offline   Reply With Quote