Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Joined 8/16

Newbie questions

I'm graduating from tent camping & I have my sights set on a 179, when the new ones come out later this year. But I'm still gathering data & feel a little apprehensive over going bigger & my lack of experience. I will be brand new to towing 'anything'. And have read about a few rough trips. Yikes!!!
I LOVE to camp & 2 of my 4 kids do. DH does not camp, maybe he will change his mind with 'my' RPod.
My TV is a 2010 GMC Savana Van 1500 w/traction control.
I have a few questions:
-WDH or Sway Control? Or better to feel the load and not forget it's there.
-tongue weight- the kitchen is in back so is the fresh water tank in front of the Axel? or behind?
-better to tow with fresh water tank full? Or empty. We've always camped in state parks & I think they've always had water.
-water filter-in line? or at the sink?
-manual trailer brake control-does everyone get this? Approx $$$?
-nitrogen tires? Where do you even get them filled at?
-Dump stations-do you have time to hook the water hose to the black tank rinse & dump a couple times to clean it good? Or do you have to hurry due to others waiting?
-Is a clear black water elbow standard? I saw a 'How To' video with a clear elbow on the dump line, helps to definitely know when the tank is clean.
-If you can't duct tape it, I can't FIX it.
How much is this going to be an issue.
And so much more to learn.
I am excited to get outdoors more often. This camper will open up more opportunities for us to get away.
Agent 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Just want to say I LOVE your username - Get Smart is one of my favorite shows!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 99 View Post
I'm graduating from tent camping & I have my sights set on a 179, when the new ones come out later this year. But
I LOVE to camp & 2 of my 4 kids do. DH does not camp, maybe he will change his mind with 'my' RPod.

I have a few questions:

And so much more to learn.
I am excited to get outdoors more often. This camper will open up more opportunities for us to get away.
First off, welcome to the Forums and the RV Lifestyle!! If you are like most of us, you will become addicted and this will become a lifelong passion for you!

My TV is a 2010 GMC Savana Van 1500 w/traction control.

Check your tow capacity. will the R-Pod 179 exceed your tow capacity?

-If you can't duct tape it, I can't FIX it.
How much is this going to be an issue.

Possibly. You will pick up tips and techniques. I am by NO means a RV tech but I can take care of minor issues. You will be fine. Invest in a RV roadside assistance insurance plan (and your Forest River RV will come with a 1 year policy from Coach Net, and you can contact CoachNet and get the Roadside assistance added to your warranty)

-Is a clear black water elbow standard? I saw a 'How To' video with a clear elbow on the dump line, helps to definitely know when the tank is clean.

No...but you can buy one from Amazon. Also do not use the cheap hose the RV dealership will "give" you . Just pay the extra $$$ for a RhinoFlex sewer hose. You will be happy you did!

I'm still gathering data & feel a little apprehensive over going bigger & my lack of experience. I will be brand new to towing 'anything'. And have read about a few rough trips. Yikes!!!

Stick around here - there are a BUNCH of folks with years and years of RV experience here to help you.

-Dump stations-do you have time to hook the water hose to the black tank rinse & dump a couple times to clean it good? Or do you have to hurry due to others waiting?

It depends - I prefer full hookup sites so I am not rushed. If you use a dump station, try to go at non-peak hours so you are not rushed. Regardless, even if there is a line, take your time and do it right. Do not feel pressure to hurry - that is how mistakes happen.

-nitrogen tires? Where do you even get them filled at?

A zillion threads on this in the forums. Hotly contested but here is my 2˘: Air is 80% Nitrogen. I have my own Air compressor to top off my tires.

-water filter-in line? or at the sink?

In-Line every time. You will need 2 if you are going to drink the water from the campground: A sediment filter & .5 micron charcoal filter. This will eliminate 99% of all the "Stuff" out there. If you are really paranoid (like I am ) you will filter your drinking water in a Brita.

-WDH or Sway Control? Or better to feel the load and not forget it's there.

You will HATE Feeling the load!! Worst sensation EVER. get a Weight Distribution hitch and sway control.

-tongue weight- the kitchen is in back so is the fresh water tank in front of the Axel? or behind?

Need the towing specs on your Van and the tongue weight of the R-Pod to answer this.

-better to tow with fresh water tank full? Or empty. We've always camped in state parks & I think they've always had water.

We always had at least 1/2 tank because you never know when you will need water. Now, in the Coach, we always travel full. You mileage may vary depending on how much you can tow.

-manual trailer brake control-does everyone get this? Approx $$$?

When we had out Travel Trailer, I think I paid @ $600.00 and it is not manual, it's electric
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Joined 8/16

BamaBob thank you for all your answers. LOL re read my 'manual brake' question & Fred Flintstone 'stopping' his ride with his feet popped to mind. LOL
My van will tow 4300-6100 lbs.
but the receiver they put on when I bought the van says 4,000 and tongue weight 400.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Joined 8/16

Update:
Factory installed Tow bar on my van only rated for 4000 lbs, while the Van is rated to tow 4300-6100 lbs.
The dealership said 'gosh, golly, gee we don't understand this at all. Call GMC."
GMC told me 'we'd never install a tow bar not appropriately sized for the vehicle'.
So I took the van with me to an RV sales lot and they said "you should never tow something that is over 75% of your vehicles max tow rating or you can tear up your engine. So that's probably why they put a lower rated hitch on. "
Idk...sounds like someone made a mistake and I just didn't catch it until now, 7 years later.
However, the main thing is, This hitch will be fine for an RPod that weighs abt 3,800 GVWR.
And I've learned about tow weights.
Im just glad I never lent the van out to someone who tried to tow a 5 or 6,000 lb load with it.

Tags