Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Not exactly a Happy camper

We picked up our new 2017 179 pod on Friday from Big Daddy's RV. We stopped at Indian Mountain State Park for our first shakedown. I decided to fill fresh water tank, put the hose in the fill nozzle and turned on the faucet, while it was filling went inside to check the monitor and next thing I see is water running on floor from under the bed. I then took bed off and found the plumbing. Right away I noticed the vent hose for the fresh water tank not connected to the back side of the filler nozzle. Poor craftmenship for Forest River and I called dealership and didn't seem concerned. Hose clamp was never put on. Can't wait to see what else I'm going to find.
okeefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

Not to be too negative, but save yourself problems (and possibly a camping trip) by methodically going through your new camper. I worked on one system at a time (trailer exterior lights, water heater, fridge, etc. etc.) and finished the job the FR workers should have. Like you, I found many loose hoses, unsecured wires, inadequately tightened screws, you name it. It is much easier to fix in your driveway than on the road. Many forum members have found (and recommended) it is easier to fix yourself than suffer the delays and problems encountered with trying to get the dealer to take care of handyman problems.
*You will probably not screw up something else while making repairs either!
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Not to be too negative, but save yourself problems (and possibly a camping trip) by methodically going through your new camper. I worked on one system at a time (trailer exterior lights, water heater, fridge, etc. etc.) and finished the job the FR workers should have. Like you, I found many loose hoses, unsecured wires, inadequately tightened screws, you name it. It is much easier to fix in your driveway than on the road. Many forum members have found (and recommended) it is easier to fix yourself than suffer the delays and problems encountered with trying to get the dealer to take care of handyman problems.
*You will probably not screw up something else while making repairs either!
O trust me, I know exactly what you're saying. I worked for one the largest RV dealerships in Florida in their service dept the last 3 winters. We had units sitting in service lot for as long as 90 days waiting on the silliest things.
Tomorrow I'll hook it up in the driveway and start checking everything.
okeefjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper