Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
mle

Out the door pricing for new r-pod, is it good?

**Southern CA**

I read the entire haggling thread on there (very much appreciated that thread), but I'm still a newbie when it comes to RVs; this would be our first. I know they price them more in SoCal, so I just want to run this by the knowledgeable people on here and see if I'm being offered a decent deal or not.

I had them print me up a price sheet on the price they gave me out the door and they sent me a build sheet on the units they have (they are the same build options and they have two).

We are looking at the 2017.5 floor plan 176 (with the bunks and the dinette). The breakdown of the pricing sheet they gave me was this:

MSRP: $24,065
Less Dealer Discount: $7,165
Dealer Unit Price: $16,900
(then all the fees under it are $0, like prep fee, PDI, etc..)

With taxes and fees, it's $18,516.20 out the door. (We are doing cash, not financing) This is the price from their general sales manager, who I spoke to on the phone a couple days ago. The sales guy today tried to tell me 22. Which I immediately said NOPE, that's not what I was told.

They have two of them, both are the same build: Interior luxury package, exterior luxury package, hood river edition (which they all seem to be anyways), camper friendly package, 13.5 BTU AC, convection microwave oven, 24" LED flat screen TV, Thule awning (this seems to be standard on the 2017.5), RVIA Seal, low boy freight.
On the sales sheet, none of this is listed as extra..

The only thing though is that these two r-pods are the only ones they have left, and they look like they have been demo'd a bit. Trim pieces coming off, a cabinet in one is broken, nicks and dents, parts taken from the interior of one, shoddy calking work on one around the tank fittings, etc.. They aren't trashed by any means and they said they would fix everything before the delivery.. But I made them confirm that the 2018s are coming on their next shipment in June and they admitted that the bunks are not good sellers.

I'm just wondering if this price is decent because they want to clear them out or should I stand firm and see if I can get them lower?

The other dealer in town doesn't have the 2017.5s, they would have to order it for us meaning more $$$. There's some up in LA, but they said over 20k out the door and stopped replying when I said that's too high. There's another in NV who wanted 19,5 out the door, but I didn't like their quick to try and put me on the defense tactics by trying to have a peeing contest over builds with the dealers here..

Anywho.. If you all have any insight it would be much appreciated! Sorry about the novel post, I'm just trying to paint a good picture.
mle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Out the door pricing for new r-pod, is it good?

That's about 30% off which is generally considered pretty good.

Sometimes if you finance for a period of time you can get a better price too.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
That's about 30% off which is generally considered pretty good.

Sometimes if you finance for a period of time you can get a better price too.
x2
Surprisingly with paying cash it can go against you since the dealer is losing out on the extra money that financing provides to them. Also keep in mind that peak camping season is starting which means more business for dealerships. A good deal is when both parties are happy (especially if you are a bit happier).

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

Mie, the way I see it, you have two issues going here: (1) the price, and (2) service after the sale (have you thought about that?) As for No. 1, I think the price is high. Shop the internet and I'll bet you discover that you can find an RPod priced in the 17's. As for No. 2, consider the fact that what you're looking to buy is not the same as a car. Dealers are reluctant to service an RV that was not purchased from them. Or, if they do agree to do warranty work for you, it may take an entire summer to get it done (funny how those parts just seem to take so long to come in!). You could end up driving hundreds of miles to get warranty work done. RV dealers make their money on the sale of trailers, not the service.

I think you're going to have to strike a balance on this thing somewhere. That said, IMO, if your description of the condition of the RPods you're looking at is accurate, I'd avoid this dealer like the plague.
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #5

I find that buying on best price, usually means poor service after the sale and you'll probably need some type of service. FR products, in general need after the sale service...lol

Not all, but a large percentage do. Quality 'Amish Craftsmanship;, IOW, get it out the door as quickly as possible.

I'm not one to dicker at all, Give me your best price because I've 'shopped around' so I know what is fair and what is not. Having said that, I also look at a dealers service department and I don't mean asking, I do a hands on personal walk through and observe what is happening behind the showroom.

You have 2 eyes and 2 ears, use them.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Chec out Bobby

Combs, in your SoCal area.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #7

Not so good, dealer jacked discount to less than 25%. East coast sale discount usually 33% to cover their so called incidentals. You're being penalized for paying cash - dealers get bonus for financing. Find another dealer within a reasonable distance, I used a 4 -5 hour radius and ordered a new one at 33% off MSRP.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

We bought our 179 HRE in Colorado. We've only towed it 2500 miles and haven't had any issues that could not be solved by advice from the R-Pod owners forum. That being said, you might ask, " do I have to have dealer services for repairs?" If not, does the cost of driving to pick up the R-pod, exceed the savings? Also, make sure your tow vehicle will handle the R-Pod;i.e., WDH, towing capacity, sufficient transmission cooling, etc.
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
mle

Thanks everyone for the very helpful info! I read everything and took it all into consideration while weighing my options. We decided to buy that one for a few reasons, but with the stipulation that everything would be fixed properly (they even had me write down everything I wanted them to be sure to fix). So I put down the deposit today and we do the walk-through in a couple of weeks!

My main reasons were: I know the 2018s are coming next month, and the 2017s are selling out (it is peak season!). Even though the one with the bunks wasn't moving as fast as the other floor plans, they were still becoming scarce (the only other one here was just bought this morning), which means that if that one sold the price would only go up with the new 2018s. The dealer's price was still lower than the other dealers I had already spoken to (including ones in LA and one in NV). I took into account the distance it would take to have any service done, and since we have two small children it just seemed nonsensical to buy out of state for that reason. But both my spouse and I are very mechanically inclined, so that wasn't a huge factor. Mostly it's time. With a 6 y/o and a 1.5 y/o, and both having full time jobs, it's not exactly easy to shop out of state.

I really appreciate how helpful everyone is here, thank you again! So excited to become part of the r-pod crew.
mle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Congrats on your new RV!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Congrats. Before you know it you will be wanting to upgrade to something larger as the little ones grow up and want to bring friends along.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #12

Sounds like a great price - I ordered mine from Nation RV in Ohio, $20K after all said and done (had it delivered).

If yours is a 179 you can still get the rdome - it was on the " must" list for me.

Have fun! This forum and the other rPOD forum have great tips and info.
SqueakyToy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, r-pod