Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #1

Pet peeves with Rpod's only

What part of your Rpod makes you think “Who ever designed this thing has never spent a night in a trailer?”
Please stay on topic.
I will start,
1. On a 19/189, Having to dismantle the bed to access water pump and water heater for PM or winterizing.
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awchief View Post
What part of your Rpod makes you think “Who ever designed this thing has never spent a night in a trailer?”
Please stay on topic.
I will start,
1. On a 19/189, Having to dismantle the bed to access water pump and water heater for PM or winterizing.
#1 pet peeve...

People who buy an extremely compact trailer complaining about how their trailer don't have enough space to make them happy.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
#1 pet peeve...

People who buy an extremely compact trailer complaining about how their trailer don't have enough space to make them happy.

Tim
Doesn't sound like the OP was complaining about the size of his TT but about the poor thought that goes into assembly as far as locations of pumps , water heater , etc . all it would taker for manufactures to put things in in a more functional way . but no they just stick them where they fit
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
#1 pet peeve...

Tim
I said nothing about the size. Do you have anything to add or actually relevant on topic to the tread?
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #5

Are we sure he was speaking of the OP? One could read it more than one way. YMMV

My pet peeve...

Not having enough time, money and cooperation to get more camping done!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
I said nothing about the size. No reason to be a jack ass. Do you have anything to add or actually relevant on topic to the tread?
Sure. Just as soon as you actually ask a question...

But let me ask you... What exactly are you proposing the factory (or engineers) do to remedy your issue?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
dotsonjc

Not just RPOD

It is indeed a common issue with all RV manufacturers as well as RV Dealers (e.g., guys setting up hitches have never towed). On my Wildwood you couldn't swing open the door under the bathroom sink without lifting the toilet seat. Just a few minutes to flip the door to swing the opposite direction was the solution. OK - so they don't even need to spend a night in a trailer, just need to try to use all the items.

Past:
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 22DSX
dotsonjc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Sure. Just as soon as you actually ask a question...

But let me ask you... What exactly are you proposing the factory (or engineers) do to remedy your issue?

Tim
Tim and Awchief,

Can I suggest we just take it down a little bit and just have fun with the answers and not open a debate please.

The question Awchief asked was "What part of your Rpod makes you think Who ever designed this thing has never spent a night in a trailer?'"

By way of an answer, after spending the night in my buddies, I was surprised by how far the roof slopes on the inside. I thought that was odd.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #9

RV related pet peeves? I guess it would have to do with the lack of consumer protection that is currently available in the automotive industry. Things like real world warranties, dealer warranty service anywhere, Monroney stickers, Lemon Laws and online research of invoice pricing.
RV sales is like what car sales used to be 60 years ago.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Team

OK, the site team is going to interject here. We changed the title name to more accurately reflect the intent of the OP as he stated in his opening post....and that is pertaining to Rpod's only.

Since that has been clarified, from this point forward...We are not going to allow what could be considered trolling posts from any who may possibly be just trying to cause strife. If you don't have something to say about frustrations with an Rpod, then this needs to be a read only thread for you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Please stay on topic.
I will start,
Same issue on the 180... After my warranty is up I'm adding an exterior access hatch in the water pump area.

Now for Number 2: What design engineer, or interior decorator, thought putting the furnace under the bed was a good idea? The furnace can cook what ever is in the under bed storage area and is right underneath your head. Since the furnace FR uses is just a little loud that location is poor space utilization planning exemplified.

I do have an easy work around for that one in the form of a nice 1500W ceramic heater. The heater kept a Class C motor home comfy so I have no doubts it will keep a R-Pod very comfortable. I'd rather use the campgrounds electricity than my propane anyway...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

In four years I also have never used my furnace, clarify by saying I am not a boondocker. I use a small ceramic heater and have been cozy, including 3 months in Pod in the winter. The placement of the furnace is annoying at best. There is only so much space so not sure I can blame the manufacturer, it is a limited area. Secondly in 4 years I have never bypassed my water heater, I drain and use pressurized air to winterize. I use a Johnny Chock to clear the toilet valve. Four winters and no issues. I prefer to look at the annoyances and come up with work arounds that best suit my needs. It is not perfect but it works for me.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #13

In my 2013 171, there's no comfy place to lounge back and read.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #14

My thot on the a work around for the placement the OP mentioned is the same as full size TT,s use. Put the bed on a sheet of plywood that lifts up. The need to remove the mattress and unscrew all the screws to move the plywood is silly. We cut the plywood into sections so we can remove only as much as needed for particular access.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter View Post
There is only so much space so not sure I can blame the manufacturer, it is a limited area.
Depending on the floor plan appliance placement can be a challenge. But in the 180 the water heater could have went under one dinette seat, and the furnace under the other. The converter moves from under the rear dinette to the end of the bed where the furnace is now. Then convert the existing furnace and water heater locations to storage, add an exterior door, and the water pump is now accessible. Not a big deal...except now FR has to run propane, and water, to the curbside of the trailer as well instead of having a long row in series. And that would cost a few bucks. And it appears bean counters always win over common sense no matter what the industry...

We don't boon dock either so the furnace will never be used. I'm considering removing it for a bit more storage and to be able to access the water heater bypass valves. If we upgrade to a on-demand water heater that will be part of the project.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #16

The power distribution panel ought to be mounted at eye level rather than at floor level.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
The power distribution panel ought to be mounted at eye level rather than at floor level.
+1 I agree... At the opposite extreme we had a Sunseeker motor home that had it mounted above the refrigerator. I needed a step stool to see it... Maybe FR needs to average those two locations!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Okay after poking around in the 180 yesterday I'll add another one... The TV is mounted in such a way that if you are sitting at the dinette only one side can see it. When it is swung out it will be right behind the head of the person sitting in the forward seat. Since the dinette is the only seating that is an issue.

In all fairness after looking around this maybe as good as it gets, due to the floor plan, but it sure isn't a very friendly design...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #19

I don't personally own an Rpod but my in-laws own a 2016 Rpod 179.

From hanging out and helping my father in law with littler projects, my "what were they thinking" design issues are as follows:

1. Furnace placement is odd under the bed. They have used a small space heater from day 1.
2. The tv mounted on the wall in the bedroom should have come installed with a swing arm option. Not a huge or hard thing to install but it's nice to now watch tv at the dinette.
3. The 2 burner stove is lackluster and is either off or REALLY on. For boiling water it is great, however, a better unit could have been installed for being able to simmer food.

The above being said, that trailer is a cut above the rest and has been an awesome trailer without issues. Going 180 degrees off topic, my likes for the trailer are:
1. The dinette table is awesome in its ability to fold down and be used as a cocktail table outside.
2. The 179 has a ton of counter space for food prep.
3. For the size, it's a great trailer to get away and easy to manuver behind a midsize SUV or half ton truck. They designed it right with the "less is more" approach.

The Rpod was a very impressive trailer to the point that it changed my attitude on travel trailers all together. In researching our first "family toy", the Surveyors had near identical construction and build quality and we bought one in 2017. I have not looked back, nor have I been impressed with the components that we have in our trailer and the Rpods.

Good topic.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
In researching our first "family toy", the Surveyors had near identical construction and build quality and we bought one in 2017.
I've been told that R-Pod and Surveyor are in the same FR division and share a plant.