Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

R-Pod 180, 189. Picking a used one. Towing

Greetings:
We’ve had most kinds of RVs and travel trailers over the years. We recently sold our big old Diesel Pusher because we just did not have the time to use it. But we still have the camping bug and are looking for something with the basics that can be pulled by a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

The R-Pod 180 and 189 seem to fit the bill. Tow weight and hitch weight line up well with the Jeep’s 3500 pound max tow weight and 350 hitch weight. Yes, I know its pretty close to the limit, and gross loaded weight is something you have to watch closely. I’m pretty sure I’ll be using a weight distributing hitch. I’d be interested in hearing of anyone towing a 180 or 189 with a Wrangler to hear their experiences.

Since we don’t get to go camping as much as we’d like, we want to keep the cost down. We’ve seen 2017 180’s going for around $14K on RV trader. It appears the189’s are a bit newer and have not seen many of those that are previously owned.

Looking for hints from current owners on what to look for when we look at used units. What breaks? Common annoyances? I know they changed tire size between 2016 and 2017 (different axels too maybe?). Is that worth considering?

Any comments, advice is appreciated!
Jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Team

The 180's loaded tongue weight will easily exceed your Jeeps 350 max. Remember a WDH does not lower the tongue weight. The fantasy brochure dry tongue weight is 332lbs. That's without the weights of the battery, options, water or cargo.
The 189's fantasy dry tongue weight of 281lbs, could also be over the 350 number, when loaded. It's UVW of 2792lbs, could easily exceed your 3500lbs towing capacity, when loaded for camping. That 2792 number also doesn't include the weights of the things I mentioned above.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #3

Our friends had the 189, but traded it for the 180 last year. They did not like the wet bath in the 189 and getting in/out of the bed was a real hassle since the bathroom wall was in the way for half of the bed length.

They tow theirs with a 2015 Ford Explorer and say that it handles well, even in the mountains around here.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #4

Thanks. To be clear, the max tongue weight is 350 pounds. The receiver hitch max with a WD hitch is 400 pounds. I know I am at the hairy edge of the specs, especially once we load it.

I’d never travel with water in the tank. Battery and propane tank have to be accounted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 180's loaded tongue weight will easily exceed your Jeeps 350 max. Remember a WDH does not lower the tongue weight. The fantasy brochure dry tongue weight is 332lbs. That's without the weights of the battery, options, water or cargo.
The 189's fantasy dry tongue weight of 281lbs, could also be over the 350 number, when loaded. It's UVW of 2792lbs, could easily exceed your 3500lbs towing capacity, when loaded for camping. That 2792 number also doesn't include the weights of the things I mentioned above.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #5

Thanks. The 189 does not have a wet bath. The bath is a separate shower and toilet But you are right about the access to the bed. There is a wall there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
Our friends had the 189, but traded it for the 180 last year. They did not like the wet bath in the 189 and getting in/out of the bed was a real hassle since the bathroom wall was in the way for half of the bed length.

They tow theirs with a 2015 Ford Explorer and say that it handles well, even in the mountains around here.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Go in with eyes wide open,
My R-Pod extra PDI inspection items to double check. It is based on my own experience, repeated post here and other forums.

___Seams properly screwed and caulked
___Insert trim properly installed and trimmed
___All Screws in hinges
___Switches all work
___Switch base plates straight and all wires safely and correctly installed
___Internal water line valves in proper positions for use
___All lights work
___Overhead bathroom vent functions properly
___Door and compartment locks properly installed and operation
___Thermostat operation
___Hot water heater, gas and electric proper operation
___Fridge, AC, DC and gas proper operation
___Slide out functions properly and emergency operation.
___Insure all panels on slide out are secure and properly attached
___Any signs of leaks or delamination
___ Deep Cycle Battery date, do not accept a starting battery
___Tires manufacture date and wheels properly torqued
___ Drain pipe security. Straps not broken or cracked and properly installed
___ A-frame coupler welds
___ Drawer slides for proper straight installation
___ Have them leak check outside compartment doors. Mine leak every time it rains. I keep folded up towels in the compartment to soak up the water until I take it in for warranty repairs.
___Take a close look at all water connections. Especially commode and under sink connections.
___Window seals for excessive shrinkage and separation.
___Wheel bearings for proper lubrication
___Condition of brake-away switch. They are subject to UV damage.
___Recently there has been a number of medicine cabinets falling off the wall of new trailers. Check for proper installation and security.
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. We have a 2019 RP-180 10th Anniversary Edition. We down sized from a mid-size Class C earlier this year. Our 180 was about $18K, "out the door, at our local dealer.

A big advantage to buying a new(er) unit is the switch to Azdel in the outer walls in the 2018.5 models. There was also a change to axles with replaceable spindles somewhere in that time frame as well I believe.

Our 180's tongue weight is around 400 pounds. That is with 10 gallons fresh water, 10 gallons black water, and the six gallons in the water heater. We have a single battery and the stock LPG tank. We're still down sizing "stuff" from the Class C to the 180 so hopefully we'll get a bit lighter in the next couple trips.

As shown in my Signature I tow with a F-150 so I don't have your weight constraints...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondrew View Post
Greetings:
We’ve had most kinds of RVs and travel trailers over the years. We recently sold our big old Diesel Pusher because we just did not have the time to use it. But we still have the camping bug and are looking for something with the basics that can be pulled by a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

The R-Pod 180 and 189 seem to fit the bill. Tow weight and hitch weight line up well with the Jeep’s 3500 pound max tow weight and 350 hitch weight. Yes, I know its pretty close to the limit, and gross loaded weight is something you have to watch closely. I’m pretty sure I’ll be using a weight distributing hitch. I’d be interested in hearing of anyone towing a 180 or 189 with a Wrangler to hear their experiences.

Since we don’t get to go camping as much as we’d like, we want to keep the cost down. We’ve seen 2017 180’s going for around $14K on RV trader. It appears the189’s are a bit newer and have not seen many of those that are previously owned.

Looking for hints from current owners on what to look for when we look at used units. What breaks? Common annoyances? I know they changed tire size between 2016 and 2017 (different axels too maybe?). Is that worth considering?

Any comments, advice is appreciated!
Hello, I tow our 2019 Rpod 180 with a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. I have the E2 sway bar setup and I pull it with no problem. Steep hills it needs a little power but I'm not driving all over the country. Will probably upgrade when I want to do serious traveling but for now it's all good.
danehansen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
r-pod, towing