Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #1

RPOD 190 Awning off the mounting rail

Hello all,

My brand new RPOD 190 (used 4 nights) was missing its awning when we pulled in the driveway last night. The electric Thule awning was extended and stowed once.

The dealer isn't sure this is covered by Forest River which I just can't believe. The awning was completely stowed while we were traveling but must have slid off on the drive home. We backtracked a bit but never found it by the side of the highway.

My husband thinks it was not screwed in at all - just sitting in the railing.

This has sure taken the joy of owning a shiny new RPOD - something I've wanted to buy for 5 years. UGH! I actually miss my pop up now....we never used the awning on it because it was too hard to assemble. But at least it never came off.

Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated!

Lisa and Tom Johnson

lbjpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

You had a Thule electric awning? This doesn't make any sense. It's not mounted into a keder rail. Plus it has a electrical connection. The mounting of this awning has special reinforcement to the trailer side. You can't add this awning to a standard Pod. Kind of confusing.

mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter View Post
You had a Thule electric awning? This doesn't make any sense. It's not mounted into a keder rail. Plus it has a electrical connection. The mounting of this awning has special reinforcement to the trailer side. You can't add this awning to a standard Pod. Kind of confusing.
Well, I don't know what to say. Our RPOD 190 came with a Thule Crown 5200 TH 12V Electric Awning mounted to the RPOD. We didn't add it. Now it is gone. The only thing left is the metal railing/mounting bar and the electrical wiring and motor hanging off the trailer. The actual awning obviously wasn't installed correctly - no retaining screws put in.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Not denying your honesty. That is crazy. FR owes you an answer.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Unfortunately nothing related to workmanship, or the lack there of , surprises me anymore...

Are there any marks on the side paint where it looks like the awning slid around before / while coming off? That would be a point in your favor confirming it came off while towing.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Yes to the marks. It definitely came off while we were moving.

We thought RPODs were supposed to be high quality. I guess we just believed Forest River’s propaganda.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Unfortunately all RV's, regardless of manufacturer, are lacking "quality" in varying degrees. I've never heard of your particular problem before though... I'm surprised the awning motor stayed put when the slide out pulled off.

In fairness to R-Pod I will say our 180 had a much shorter "punch list", after our PDI, than any of our Sunseeker motor homes. When you consider the Sunseekers cost four or five times as much as our 180 R-Pod is doing better than some other FR divisions.

If your dealer is not pushing R-Pod on your behalf I suggest you call Service directly. The contact info is:

Danielle Beber
(574) 642-3119 Opt. 2
dbeber@forestriverinc.com
Old 07-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Forget my comment about having never heard about this before...

I just read on the FB R-Pod Owners Group about two other R-Pods where the awning came off. This is either a case of bad installation or defective awnings. I'd definitely call FR as you are not alone. I'm going to check mine tomorrow...
Old 07-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

Thanks for that info. Didn’t know there was a FB RPod group. I’m gonna join it.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

Update to my missing awning!

Forest River is going to cover this mishap.

After doing some research, this has happened before to several people. Word to the wise - if you are buying a new RPOD or any Forest River product with an awning - be sure to check that it has actually been mounted correctly. Ours showed no indication that it had been screwed in to the railing but we didn't check it before we towed it off the lot. Just watched the demonstration on how to extend it. Apparently our dealer, or Forest River didn't check to make sure either.

Tags
awning, mount