Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Unhappy shoreline circuit breaker pops when plugged in

When my RPod 174 is not attached to the trailer hitch the shoreline power works fine but with the trailer on the hitch and the harness unplugged the shoreline power ciruit trips the circuit breaker at the shoreline circuit breaker. Anyone encountered and solved this problem?
jich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If your shoreline is coming from a GFI outlet, it will not work. The trailer already has a GFI outlet, and the two of them will never get along. (Ground Fault Interrupt). Many have tried, and most have failed. It is a grounding thing, and when connected to the tow vehicle, you add a new path, through the tow vehicle.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Just an update on my GFI problem.
I did check my hot water heater element and found that it was shorted to ground (both hot and neutral sides). I guess the interesting thing about this is that even if the circuit is not switched on it still is a path for leakage to electrical ground so it pops any GFI. Once I removed the element wires no more GFI trips - wonderful.

A quick way to check this is with an ohm meter. If there is any resistance from either element screw to the base of the element (or metal housing of the water heater) then the element has shorted and will trip GFI circuits. By the way you should also test to make sure that there is resistance between the 2 screws which means that the element itself is functional (should have between 10 and 20 ohms depending on the wattage and design of the element).
jich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, electrical