Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Soliciting comments re supplemental power

Am trying to get acquainted with what I call "fancy camping". Intend to do several days of dry camping using only lights and water pump and want to be sure to have enough reserve in battery to close slide when done. Am considering: 1) adding a second group 24 battery or 2) getting a Zamp 40 watt (not space to store 80 watt) portable solar panel.

Does anyone out there have experience with this and can suggest which of these options is preferable? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

If you want to (be sure) take a Small Gen.along! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the hit, YouRoo
Old 04-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

If you don't have a gen, take a set of jumper cables. Run your truck and hook up the cables to the camper batt and charge it up full charging power for a few minutes to keep it topped off. When you run your slide in, have the truck plugged in and running to give more boost to your camper batt.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Thanks Brother Les. Good sugestion and one which I can do easily.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Just hooking up my camper to my tow vehicle slowly charges my battery but gives me full 12V power when my truck is turned on. This may be the easiest way for you as well.

Happy Camper
Nova Scotia
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Hi Neighbor, sounds good. Thanks
Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

We did a more costly version.

We extended the back bumper and had a custom built Generator Box made to fit our Yamaha 2400. Just have to open the door and start it up.

Cheers,
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

We extended the back bumper and had a custom built Generator Box made to fit our Yamaha 2400. Just have to open the door and start it up.

Cheers,
Pleases realize that the OP has a Rpod, not a 5th wheel.
So such a setup isn't possible on a Rpod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

Thanks to both if you for the replies. Tell me, how do you guys get your units off the islands? See you on the ferry.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

Cheers,
Anders. When the fabricator added the extra bumper did he go under and reinforce the frame as well? Also how far have you travelled the back roads with the new bumper/generator holder? My trailer had the warning sticker about loading etc.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #12

I keep a spare deep cycle battery for my boat and take it along for camping. If I use it in the boat, I charge it from the on-board charger. Works great.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #13

Hi get rid of the cheep power hog light bulbs. Up grade to leds.
Solar panels only work well if the sun is shining and need many battery. Watch for a sale on a champion 2000 inverter generator. Light wight and will run 9 hours on 1 gal at part load. About $500.00 + on sale.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Anders. When the fabricator added the extra bumper did he go under and reinforce the frame as well? Also how far have you travelled the back roads with the new bumper/generator holder? My trailer had the warning sticker about loading etc.
B and B. We discussed reinforcing but decided it would not be needed. The 1/4 plate that we installed on top starts about 1 inch ahead/forward of the original bumper (not very clear in the pictures). The 1/4 inch plate really re-enforces the whole setup.

I would say 75-80% of the load is on the original bumper. The generator is 75 lbs. The box is light, maybe 20 lbs.

The whole setup has been given a good shakedown. Last year we clocked around 13,000 km (8,000 miles) over 3 months with the trailer in tow. Traveling from our home on Cortes Island, BC, to Vancouver, north through BC up to Yukon and Alaska. We did some pretty rough roads, however we decided to leave the trailer behind in Dawson City while driving the Dempster hwy up to Inuvik. So far so good. We have about 40 plus posts from that trip up on our blog and hope to have the rest up in the next few weeks.

Regarding the weight distribution, the trailer tows just like it did before. I am though installing a new glide ride pinbox. The Glide ride pinbox is about 100 lbs heavier then the current Lippert pin box that is on the trailer now so this will pretty well offset the gen box. Now I just need some extra muscle to help me with the install.

Adding to this, I just finished installing some extra lights (signal, break and tail lights combo) on the bumper and will take some pictures (when it stops raining) and post them on my blog.

Cheers,
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #15

I would say that 40 watts may not be enough. I have a 60 W system on my Vibe 6501 and it will keep my battery full, have camped for over a week and battery was never below 85 % full. I would look around at different solar panels, I find Zamp to be very expensive on a dollar per watt basses. My system is two 30 watt briefcase panels http://www.sunforceproducts.com/prod...PRODUCT_ID=150 on a 20 foot wire so I can move them into the sun. All my interior lights have been changed to LED.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
B and B. We discussed reinforcing but decided it would not be needed. The 1/4 plate that we installed on top starts about 1 inch ahead/forward of the original bumper (not very clear in the pictures). The 1/4 inch plate really re-enforces the whole setup.

I would say 75-80% of the load is on the original bumper. The generator is 75 lbs. The box is light, maybe 20 lbs.

The whole setup has been given a good shakedown. Last year we clocked around 13,000 km (8,000 miles) over 3 months with the trailer in tow. Traveling from our home on Cortes Island, BC, to Vancouver, north through BC up to Yukon and Alaska. We did some pretty rough roads, however we decided to leave the trailer behind in Dawson City while driving the Dempster hwy up to Inuvik. So far so good. We have about 40 plus posts from that trip up on our blog and hope to have the rest up in the next few weeks.

Regarding the weight distribution, the trailer tows just like it did before. I am though installing a new glide ride pinbox. The Glide ride pinbox is about 100 lbs heavier then the current Lippert pin box that is on the trailer now so this will pretty well offset the gen box. Now I just need some extra muscle to help me with the install.

Adding to this, I just finished installing some extra lights (signal, break and tail lights combo) on the bumper and will take some pictures (when it stops raining) and post them on my blog.

Cheers,
I would highly suggest that you reinforce the original bumper to the frame and under the bumper. I speak from experience about losing my bumper and carriage that I have built on to it. I had a 1977 Shasta, when the bumpers were real 4 inch pipes. Could not bend or hurt the bumper, but the welds are what gave way. A 1/4 plate on the top will help, but the welds on the sides and bottom now will take a massive amount of stress and movement with the added load you put on. These welds will give way one day and the framing that you made will drop/slant down to the roadway. It may last, how you have it for two years or five years (mine lasted around five years before the welds broke), but one day it will be dragging the road. imo. Beef it up to the frame and beef up the welds. It does look very very nice.... good job..

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I would highly suggest that you reinforce the original bumper to the frame and under the bumper. I speak from experience about losing my bumper and carriage that I have built on to it. I had a 1977 Shasta, when the bumpers were real 4 inch pipes. Could not bend or hurt the bumper, but the welds are what gave way. A 1/4 plate on the top will help, but the welds on the sides and bottom now will take a massive amount of stress and movement with the added load you put on. These welds will give way one day and the framing that you made will drop/slant down to the roadway. It may last, how you have it for two years or five years (mine lasted around five years before the welds broke), but one day it will be dragging the road. imo. Beef it up to the frame and beef up the welds. It does look very very nice.... good job..
Hey Brother Les,

Thanks for the heads up..... it's nothing like experience. I will have a look at mine and might just ad a support.

Cheers,
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog

Tags
power