Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Thinking about purchasing an R Pod

So, I've been wanting to purchase a trailer for a while (something to call my own and rent is crazy!). Some of my co-workers think I should look at an R Pod, I have been looking at the floor plans and trying to figure out what all I need to ask questions about. I think I like the RP-180 best, since I don't care much for the wet bathroom.

If anyone is willing to answer some questions, here's my list!

Looking at everything that I can find online I don't see any options for an oven, is that correct? If so, how difficult might it be to eventually add an oven? I know it will take away storage space.

Speaking of storage space, how difficult would it be to add some overhead space above the bed?

I live up in Northern California, we can see all types of weather (rain, snow, hail, wind), so how well does this trailer stand up to the weather?

How long are these trailers expected to last without any major problems, especially when they are being lived in for long periods of time?

Being a possible first time Camp Trailer owner what else should I be aware of?

That's all of the questions that I can think of now, so any help would be appreciated!
Rusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you thinking of living in a Rpod full-time?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Yes, I am.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Good luck with that!
Have you ever been in one? I can tell you that they aren't designed for fulltiming.

Having lived in NorCal for 30 years, have you estimated the cost of campsites? It may not be as cheap as you think. Full hookups often cost $40 or more a day. That's at least $1200 a month.

I know rents are high in the Bay Area but other areas of NorCal are not.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

Go to the R-Pod Facebook pages for tons of information. Plus there is an R-Pod owners forum just like this forum. We have a 2013 177 and love it. There is a good sized convection microwave in it and you can bake as well as microwave. There are full-timers on the sites that will help you figure things out. Good luck!
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

I understand where you are coming from. You may want to go a little bit bigger. We have a Cherokee Grey Wolf 23BD. Camping in it is o.k. for 2 people and a big dog. We are planning on doing very long trips. So far we have hardly filled all of the spaces except where the "kitchen" is. To get an oven, you will need to find a unit with a 3 burner stove. You will not be able to roast a turkey or for that fact a full chicken in there. There are pretty small. I hope you can find someone with some property who would be willing to set up and provide you with some basic hook up. I am a Sonoma girl and back in the day a lot of people lived the way you are wanting to. I know California has become very strict in what you can and cannot do. Good luck

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
I am a Sonoma girl and back in the day a lot of people lived the way you are wanting to. I know California has become very strict in what you can and cannot do. Good luck
Yep, grew up in Sonoma Valley and remember those days quite fondly.
Big reason I moved out of California, after living there for 55 years, was how much has changed there for the worst.

Couldn't stay around anymore, watching such a once wonderful place get ruined and destroyed.

Back to the OP.
Before jumping into this, research the actual costs of campgrounds and RV parks in the area you plan to be.
And find a Rpod dealer and get inside one and imagine yourself living there.

I have friends and family that live in Redding and Alturas.
I can tell you that that area is one of the cheapest living areas in California.
Not sure if you're going live more cheaply in a trailer, unless you have someplace to stay for free.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #8

We owned a R177 for two years before we considered upgrading.
The 177 is noted for it's lack of storages space. We somewhat overcame that with some custom shelving. But it really wasn't enough. We lived in it for a month while on a trip to Alaska.
This year we were looking to get a bigger model. When we saw the larger bathroom in the 180, we just had to have one.
But, after looking it over, and comparing it to the 179, we chose to go with the 179.
The larger bathroom in the 180 was a big plus.
But, the small dinette and kitchen area gave us reservations.
The 179's large kitchen is the big winner. Followed by a large, open dinette, and ample storage space.
If you're going to spend some time living in something that's only about eighteen feet long, you'll want living space.

Our conclusion? You can't live in the bathroom!
sujopodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #9

Well, there will be only one person living in it. As to where I'll be at, try the Intermountain area (Fall River, Burney, Cassel, etc.), the RV places I've been looking at seem to be reasonable with the rent bit with hookups. And I've lived in a studio apartment on and off for the past couple of years. So I understand small, and know how to manage in small spaces. And with work, I'll be spending time at 'home' primarily on the weekends, so living space isn't too much of a worry.

Anyways enough about that, yes I am planning on going and looking at the trailers before I make a decision and looking around for other trailers that might suit better. I'm leaning towards the r-pod mostly due to the fact my mid size suv will be able to tow it. But, like everyone keeps pointing out more research and being able to go and look at a few different ones is needed. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

I failed to mention that we often camp during the winter months. while are destinations are usually fair weather locales, getting there from Janesville often requires a drive through snow. We have a complete set of tire chains for both the tow vehicle, and the 179.
Our TV is a Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited and it handles the 179 without much fuss.
sujopodders is offline   Reply With Quote