Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Thinking of purchasing a Rpod 171

I've been reading and reading, trying to be certain my SUV can tow it. I have a V6 FWD Hyundai Veracruz, tow rating is 3500. The 171 has a dry weight of 2224 according to the website. We have no interest in using the shower or toilet (wet bath sound gross to me and we just use the campground bathhouses without issue). Is there an option without a bathroom? If we don't use the bathroom and therefor don't fill the tank, then we will have much less water weight correct?

Cargo-wise, we are a family of 5, 3 small kids. About 450 lbs. Plus all of our stuff.

I'm sorry - I know these questions get repetitive but I find this all really confusing. Thank you for your help

kbs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

We had a 171 prior to our current Solera, where are you planning to sleep the third kid.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

We towed with a Honda Pilot 4wd with tow rating of 4500 and it limited the pilot to 4th gear. We are only 3 people but gear and supplies add weight fast. you will have more room for 5 as those kids grow with a pop up, especially if no bathroom needed and towing limited.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Team

First, does your CUV have the factory tow package?
If not, it doesn't have the 3500lbs tow rating.

Second, are you planning to make the dinette into a bed, every night, for the 3 kids to sleep in?

Third, there isn't a no-bathroom option.

Fourth, the FR website shows a fictional "dry" weight of 2342lbs and a fictional hitch weight of 242lbs. The actual loaded weights will near or over your vehicle's max ratings.

Tow ratings are lowered by anything in the vehicle other than a 150lbs driver.
Payload capacity(on the driver's door yellow sticker) is lowered by anyone or anything in the vehicle.

Unfortunately you have a vehicle that has a very low towing capacity.
IF your car has the factory tow package, you'll still be at or over the max numbers.
Normally with a 3500lbs tow rating, a popup or A-frame trailer is a better fit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Team

You'll find the payload in your SUV is usually the biggest limiting factor. Check the doorjam for the placard that has something along the lines of "Cargo Carrying Capacity". Subtract from that the weight of that family of 5 plus whatever you have in the vehicle, and that will be the range you want for a tongue weight, in order to have a comfortable ride. That will dictate the size trailer you should be looking at.

Here's a couple of sites that can help you with those calculations:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You'll find the payload in your SUV is usually the biggest limiting factor. Check the doorjam for the placard that has something along the lines of "Cargo Carrying Capacity". Subtract from that the weight of that family of 5 plus whatever you have in the vehicle, and that will be the range you want for a tongue weight, in order to have a comfortable ride. That will dictate the size trailer you should be looking at.

Here's a couple of sites that can help you with those calculations:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Thank you everyone, payload is 1475. Based on the calculator, I should be fine. But the 3500 is still the limiting factor. Bit frustrating as they market these as towable by this type of vehicle. I'm okay with the tight fit, we are experienced frequent tent campers. So small spaces are fine, we can make the sleeping situation work. I'm apprehensive about pop-ups - would prefer a lightweight trailer but willing to look into that option.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the UVW of 2342 include the hitch weight? Or the total weight 2342 plus 242 for the hitch?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Site Team

It's supposed to be the total weight of the unit, as it rolled off the line, as if if you plopped the whole thing down on a scale, tongue and all. (Which is basically what they do.)

Now, this is "as it rolled off the line" which means it doesn't include things like the battery, propane tanks, water (in anything, even the lines, nvm just the tanks).... Some places will provide calculated weights for those, but they're usually called out as such on the placard.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Site Team

UVW often doesn't include factory options and definitely not dealer add-ons.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 02-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs123 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the UVW of 2342 include the hitch weight? Or the total weight 2342 plus 242 for the hitch?
Again, you keep using fictional numbers. The actual loaded hitch weight will around 100lbs more, than the 242 number.

And you'll need a WDH with sway control, on a short wheelbase vehicle like yours.

Like I said, loaded for camping, you'll be close to max for your vehicle.

The payload number is a positive. But your limitation is a short wheelbase unibody vehicle, designed for people moving, NOT for towing.

Equalizer WDH