Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

trailer brake adjustment

Hello, I am new to forum. I just purchased a RPT-190 and am towing with 2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD. I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Instructions say to set on 6 and decrease until brakes do not lock. Even at max setting of 14 brakes do not lock although they are braking some. Brakes are supposedly self adjusting. I have read that brakes may need some time to adjust and break in for lack of better term. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Head Rambler

There is procedure for burnishing new brakes in the manual. You may need to do that since it's new.

However, My recommendation is to pull the hubs and check the brakes and then put them back together and you can manually adjust them to begin with.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

Jerry, I am not a fan of that adjustment method. I find a suitable parking lot, reasonably level. With TT hooked up, place the TV in idle, all should roll forward, engage the slide brake control, if the trailer and TV do not stop increase the setting, there should be a point the rig will not move forward at idle. That's a sweet spot. There's no reason to set things to lock the trailer up. It all should work in conjunction with your TV and TT. If you can't find that spot, you may want to look at the trailer brake adjustments, but I would only do that after I tried to set the brake from the controller. All done at idle and moving trailer. Some folks are not comfortable at adjusting trailer brakes, if that is you, seek assistance.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer