Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Site Team

Under Bed Storage Space Suggestions

I'm curious how folks are using the under bed storage space in their Pod. I have quite a bit of space in our 180 but the furnace location is a concern. Normally I use plastic storage bins but I can see heat problems if I want to use the furnace. Any suggestions?

I already have a very nice 115VAC ceramic heater, with adjustable temperature and fan speeds, that may replace using the furnace if necessary...
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

We use it for storage while traveling. Once we are set-up, and we have expanded into the R-Dome, that space is no longer needed for storage—and is inconvenient for storage.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Team

The under bed storage is a bit inconvenient, especially the far back corner... We have the Thule awning instead of the R-Dome so that option is out. I may just carry some of our "stuff" in my truck...
Old 04-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I'm curious how folks are using the under bed storage space in their Pod. I have quite a bit of space in our 180 but the furnace location is a concern. Normally I use plastic storage bins but I can see heat problems if I want to use the furnace. Any suggestions?

I already have a very nice 115VAC ceramic heater, with adjustable temperature and fan speeds, that may replace using the furnace if necessary...

I like the idea of the separate heater...do you find it better than using the pods? More economical?
RVngFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

If we have power available, we use our table top heater, as it sames on propane and even with our larger trailer...36' we can still keep it comfortable inside. Son has never used furnace in his Jayco...about same size as a Pod...an it gets WARM in there with just a little portable electric heater.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVngFam View Post
I like the idea of the separate heater...do you find it better than using the pods? More economical?
The furnace used in most RV's is a noisy, smelly, gas hog...and that is its better points.

It is definitely more economical to use the electricity I'm already paying for at a campground than to burn my propane! Now if you are going to boondock, with no 115VAC, you're kinda of stuck with the furnace.

We bought a nice ceramic 1500 Watt space heater at Target a few years ago. It has adjustable fan speeds, five I believe, directional vanes for the airflow, and a thermostat that keeps the temp consistent. It easily heated a motor home, with much more space, than a R-Pod with no issues. I believe it was around $40 for the space heater and I've saved a ton of money not buying propane.

Since I intend to use the storage under the bed, as much as possible, I really can't use the installed furnace anyway. I'd have to move everything out and away from the heat register to keep from cooking, or melting, that could get real ugly fast...
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #7

I spent 3 months in Pod waiting to retire in the winter. Have never used my furnace. I used a cube ceramic heater that kept the Pod cozy. If you don't have an electric connection a small propane heater will work. I added capability to use a second heater but have never needed it. When Pod is at house on power, I use small heater to keep it warm inside over winter.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The furnace used in most RV's is a noisy, smelly, gas hog...and that is its better points.

It is definitely more economical to use the electricity I'm already paying for at a campground than to burn my propane! Now if you are going to boondock, with no 115VAC, you're kinda of stuck with the furnace.

We bought a nice ceramic 1500 Watt space heater at Target a few years ago. It has adjustable fan speeds, five I believe, directional vanes for the airflow, and a thermostat that keeps the temp consistent. It easily heated a motor home, with much more space, than a R-Pod with no issues. I believe it was around $40 for the space heater and I've saved a ton of money not buying propane.

Since I intend to use the storage under the bed, as much as possible, I really can't use the installed furnace anyway. I'd have to move everything out and away from the heat register to keep from cooking, or melting, that could get real ugly fast...

That’s a fantastic idea!! Do you plug it into one of the pods regular outlets or direct to the campground? I know those heaters typically take a little more power
RVngFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

I have no issues running a single 1500w, thermostat controlled space heater on the Pod GCFI circuits. Two heaters is a different story. However 1 has always been sufficient, and I say that after a lengthy winter stay in the Pod.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVngFam View Post
Do you plug it into one of the pods regular outlets or direct to the campground?

I just plug in to an outlet in the RV. You have a 30 Amp electrical service in your R-Pod. The heater at a full 1500 Watts draws approximately 13 Amps...
(1500W / 120VAC = 12.5 Amps)

Tags
bed, storage