Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Winter Camping

My wife and I have started to think about camping in the winter. BTW we live in Wisconsin, get lots of snow and cold. I'm wondering if there are particular campers that are set up for this kind of camping, or whether all kinds of changes need to be made in our unit (an R-Pod 179)? If changes need to be made, it might be better to just buy a unit already designed for winter from the factory. Any advice?

kdot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
My wife and I have started to think about camping in the winter. BTW we live in Wisconsin, get lots of snow and cold. I'm wondering if there are particular campers that are set up for this kind of camping, or whether all kinds of changes need to be made in our unit (an R-Pod 179)? If changes need to be made, it might be better to just buy a unit already designed for winter from the factory. Any advice?

kdot
Winter camping in Wisconsin in an R-Pod?? Your camper is better suited for winter camping in Florida.

ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

The RPod is not winter camping ready, mainly due to the exposed bottom. Many do camp in winter with some additional insulation, heated water hoses, and addition of siding to ground. Most of us winterize and put away until next season. If I was going to seriously consider winter camping I would go with a different trailer, like the new FR NO BO, comes in two sizes, the 19.5 is a bit larger than your 179.
mcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

You're a brave couple. You're going to use alot of propane for heat. Keeping the on board water from freezing could be a challenge depending on the outside temp. And keep in mind most of our campgrounds close down for the winter.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

When I winter camp with my rig I do not carry water and prior to heading out I put about a gallon of RV antifreeze in each holding tank (I don't dewinterize my rig) I use portable water jugs for flushing (if needed) and cooking. I only hookup to sewer if available. It can be done with some minor adjustments to your normal style of camping. I also use a catalytic heater to save on propane and batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

In my younger years a lot of my friends and I winter camped as we were avid snowmobile fans.

I'd just go out for the day and come home late at night but a friend would spend a week up in the mountains with his RV. Never had a freezing problem. He had the entire under side sprayed with foam after adding heat tape to all water lines and heat pads to the holding tanks. Also had insulating pillows in the vents and thick covering for the side windows, much like quilts for curtains.

It can be done but unless you are ice fishing or snowmobiling I can think of better places to be cooped up than an RV that you're fighting to keep warm in.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Plan on either a heated mattress or mattress pad... We were in Sikeston MO on a recent trip to Texas. Temp was 5 and falling and the furnace decided not to work (for unknown reasons it was fine the next night). Two small electric heaters totaling 2400 watts kept the rig very cold, but tolerable and our mattress pad kept us cozy overnight.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
our mattress pad kept us cozy overnight.
A big dog helps too if you don't have electricity

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter