Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Winter Camping in RPOD 179

We have a 2016 RPod 179 and are moving to Sequim Washington. We are going to be spending the winter in our rpod as our house will not be ready for us until next summer. Winters don't seem to be to harsh up here with highs during the winter in the high 40's and low 50's and nighttime temperatures at freezing of course that is just the average.

We think we need to seal the windows a bit better by using foil insulation or a film over the windows. We also need to know if we need any skirting around the rpod for the winter. We were going to insulate the hose and the connector to the rpod as well as the connection at the water source. Also we thought rugs on the floors would help as well.

Any tips on how to get through the winter in our rpod would be helpful.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

I would most certainly put skirting around the rig much heat is lost there. The other thing I would do is setup a catalytic heater (i use one in my rig for winter camping) to assist the installed heater. You need an actual heated water hose.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #3

My initial thought was to use a secondary, electric heater as it will be much quieter than the propane furnace. The 179 is a nice model with big dinette and lots of counterspace.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Thanks we'll have to look at a heater. I'm not sure how much propane the furnace will use if we only go the propane route. We don't use propane for cooking as we use two induction cook tops instead.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

Extra 15 amp outlet

Available from Walmart is an marine grade 13 amp female plug with a single short extension on it. It would bypass your 30 amp service provided with your Rod. What this does is allows you to run a second ceramic heater if you want to as it does not use your on board electrical system. The installation took me about 1/2 hour and now we can run two ceramic heaters at night if we want off of a 30 amp pedestal. Most pedestals provide 1 30 amp circuit, 1 50 amp circuit and a duplex 120 vac 20 amp.
Also, you might consider hay bails around the base of your TT as well as the skirting.
NOCO GCP1 13A 125V AC PORT W/ INTEGRATED EXTENSION CABLE
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Insulate the basement storage compartment door at least. If not the entire basement. No doubt by now you've discovered a huge amount of heat escapes through the basement.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter