Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
RLW
Junior Member
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
2018 AS 242 furnace in main cabin not working

Bought a new 2018 SandStorm 242 last month. For 2 weeks I've been trying to figure out the furnace. Turned out the main (and on!y) vent/blower is under the oven and was not working. After removing the vent cover, I found two 4 inch cover plates were still attached in their openings, stopping the heat from coming out. After punching out the two cover plates, the heat poured out great and heated the room. QUESTION: what does the factory normally install on these two cover plates openings, if anything? With nothing installed to direct the heat it just flows out and disperses in a cabinet enc!osurer... With a vent cover over the large opening. I cut two 4 inch sheet metal pipes and stuffed them in the openings to direct the heat.... But still QUESTION what the factory does?
__________________

RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
RLW
Junior Member
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
FURNACE PROBLEM UPDATE: still looking for help/comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Bought a new 2018 SandStorm 242 last month. For 2 weeks I've been trying to figure out the furnace. Turned out the main (and on!y) vent/blower is under the oven and was not working. After removing the vent cover, I found two 4 inch cover plates were still attached in their openings, stopping the heat from coming out. After punching out the two cover plates, the heat poured out great and heated the room. QUESTION: what does the factory normally install on these two cover plates openings, if anything? With nothing installed to direct the heat it just flows out and disperses in a cabinet enc!osurer... With a vent cover over the large opening. I cut two 4 inch sheet metal pipes and stuffed them in the openings to direct the heat.... But still QUESTION what the factory does?
UPDATE: I took a couple of pictures to better explain my furnace question. Really wanting to know what others have under this cover in the main cabin. I was getting no heat until I knocked out the round cover plates. Seems to work now but I'm curious what the FR normally does with this situation.... do they knock out the covers and install any type of connection to direct the heat? As illustrated in the 2nd picture, I made a couple of round pipe inserts which seem to work OK. Thanks for any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171229_202546.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	159220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171229_202709.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	159221  
__________________

RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rockvale, TN
Posts: 65
Thanks for hitting me up RLW, I have yet to do mine but one of the issues that was brought up in my post is that the vent underneath the stove is the only fresh air access for the furnace and blowing warm air out, basically stopping the fresh air from coming in, could eventually cause problems with the furnace. Kind of makes sense so I was looking at cutting out a hole in the vent and adding one of these.



Here is an Ebay link to it....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-AC-HEAT-O...-/122549960887
Glampster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
RLW
Junior Member
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Glampster67, the problem with installing one of those covers (off EBAY) is it would be behind the large intake vent grate and the heat would be dispersed behind and in the cabinet enclosure..... the way I did mine with the 4" tubes it takes the heat out right to the edge of the vent grate. So far I'm not seeing a problem but maybe over time it will affect the furnace. It does seem there is still a good amount of air intake "surface area" excluding those two four inch openings. If you just did one hole rather than two, maybe that would be a compromise and lesson the impact on the air intake. I was considering a 4" round flap riveted to the the face of the furnace that could rotate down and cover the hole if I wanted to - but not planning to do that yet. Will let you know if I see a problem with my set-up in the future when I get more use of it.
__________________
2018 Sandstorm 242 Toyhauler; 2011 Chevy Duramax, Suzuki DR650 (first toyhauler, previous camper 12 years: Artic Fox, L22)
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,025
RLW:

The black grate you removed to show us your furnace is the cold air return. Back on each side of the furnace, in your second pic, you can see a duct on each side that should be carrying hot air to your rig.

You should probably NOT have opened those two holes in the front. You will now be pumping hot air out of them and it will go out the grate and a lot of it will probably be immediately pulled back in. Basically a short circuit.

You need to investigate those two ducts in the back and see where they go and if you're getting hot air out of them. Crushed ductwork is a common problem.

Update:
Looking at pics of your unit on-line, I'd bet the duct on the left runs to the end of your kitchen cabinet and discharges into the toy hauler space. The one on the right runs into the bathroom and/or the bedroom. The expectation would be that air from each end of the rig would then flow back towards the kitchen area and go back to the furnace through the black grate as "cold air return."
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rockvale, TN
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Glampster67, the problem with installing one of those covers (off EBAY) is it would be behind the large intake vent grate and the heat would be dispersed behind and in the cabinet enclosure..... the way I did mine with the 4" tubes it takes the heat out right to the edge of the vent grate.
Basically my plan is to do exactly what you did, but one instead of two, and cut out a hole in the vent to mount the cover to that would line up with the 4" tube so when the vent was put back on the cover would slide in the tube.
Very similar to this....

Glampster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rockvale, TN
Posts: 65
rockfordroo.... I think you warned me of this also, so my "fix" is that I am only going to do one, probably on the right side with the cover mounted in the fresh air intake vent lining up with the 4" duct coming out of the furnace so it would blow the warm air away from the vent and surely allow plenty of fresh air in. What do you think?
Glampster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,025
Yeah, if you can get the hot air blowing away from the grate, that will help. They don't always do this very well themselves. Below is a pic of my old 2012 Roo 19. You can see they put one of the hot air vents (round) right next to the cold air intake (grated door) under the dinette. I guess a year or two later they wised up and moved the hot air vent to the end of the dinette bench, blowing out into the aisle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette cold air rtrn.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	160605  
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
RLW
Junior Member
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
RLW:

The black grate you removed to show us your furnace is the cold air return. Back on each side of the furnace, in your second pic, you can see a duct on each side that should be carrying hot air to your rig.

You should probably NOT have opened those two holes in the front. You will now be pumping hot air out of them and it will go out the grate and a lot of it will probably be immediately pulled back in. Basically a short circuit.

You need to investigate those two ducts in the back and see where they go and if you're getting hot air out of them. Crushed ductwork is a common problem.

Update:
Looking at pics of your unit on-line, I'd bet the duct on the left runs to the end of your kitchen cabinet and discharges into the toy hauler space. The one on the right runs into the bathroom and/or the bedroom. The expectation would be that air from each end of the rig would then flow back towards the kitchen area and go back to the furnace through the black grate as "cold air return."
Rockfordroo: What will be symptom/problem, if the air intake IS affected by my opening those two vents.... I'm not seeing anything. But there is definitely a lot of heat coming out of the two I opened up and it heats my camper up up in 15 minutes when its 0 degrees outside. No way I could get that from the one vent FR placed at the end of the kitchen cabinet facing underneath the bench seat. That bench seat vent is open and blows heated air but not near enough to warm up the room. The vent in the bedroom works fine. The vent in the bathroom never has worked since I brought the camper home 2 months ago, I will check it out when the snow melts and I can climb under the camper and remove the under floor covers. Not really concerned with the bathroom heat at this time.
__________________
2018 Sandstorm 242 Toyhauler; 2011 Chevy Duramax, Suzuki DR650 (first toyhauler, previous camper 12 years: Artic Fox, L22)
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Rockfordroo: What will be symptom/problem, if the air intake IS affected by my opening those two vents.... I'm not seeing anything. But there is definitely a lot of heat coming out of the two I opened up and it heats my camper up up in 15 minutes when its 0 degrees outside. No way I could get that from the one vent FR placed at the end of the kitchen cabinet facing underneath the bench seat. That bench seat vent is open and blows heated air but not near enough to warm up the room. The vent in the bedroom works fine. The vent in the bathroom never has worked since I brought the camper home 2 months ago, I will check it out when the snow melts and I can climb under the camper and remove the under floor covers. Not really concerned with the bathroom heat at this time.
In theory, since you're short circuiting the furnace, you're drawing in "already heated" air, so it's possible you could overheat the furnace. There is a high temperature shutdown switch on it. But if you haven't tripped that switch at this point, you're probably OK.

If the bathroom vent isn't working and the kitchen cabinet one isn't doing much, I'd bet you've got crushed vent hoses or some other type of obstruction. Keep in mind, however, that with the 2 new holes you created, you're now robbing potential flow from those two pathways.

Should be fairly easy to follow the one to the left; you can probably see it by pulling out all the drawers/opening doors on your kitchen cabinet. Looking at your rig on-line, the vent MIGHT run under whatever floor may be behind the double doors on the far left end OR it may run across in the very back, and they usually put up some kind of partition so your pots and pans don't hit it. If it's under the cabinets floor, you'll have to figure out how to remove the floor for access. For the other side, you may have to pull out your converter/power center to see it. If you have a vent coming out under your shower, you can usually remove some screws and see in under the shower pan.

Or you can just live with it if what you've done is enough for you.



Good luck.
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.