Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Jukebox

AC

While out camping last time my AC compressor stopped kicking on. The fan still works great. Before it stopped working I noticed that my thermostat was acting up.
The unit is a Dometic roof unit and the thermostat it built into the unit.
Any ideas??

Jukebox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox64 View Post
While out camping last time my AC compressor stopped kicking on. The fan still works great. Before it stopped working I noticed that my thermostat was acting up.
The unit is a Dometic roof unit and the thermostat it built into the unit.
Any ideas??
Who made the thermostat? ... and what do you mean when you say it "was acting up"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 74; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Was it possibly freezing up?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

Year, make and model of your RV?

FYI, lots of Dometic A/C failures in the past few years. Base warranty is 2 years, sometimes they extend it,

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Jukebox

I guess I shouldíve mentioned that my AC is 10 years old. By My thermostat acting up,I meant that it wasnít exactly controlling when my AC compressor would come on and turn off properly.
I am almost positive it was not freezing up because itís been a few days and we are back home and the compressor still does not come on.
I donít think I need a whole new AC unit, Iím hoping at the very maximum I need a new compressor but I am hoping at the least it is just my thermostat control. But I do not know a lot about all of the workings in this air-conditioner.
Jukebox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox64 View Post
I guess I shouldíve mentioned that my AC is 10 years old. By My thermostat acting up,I meant that it wasnít exactly controlling when my AC compressor would come on and turn off properly.
I am almost positive it was not freezing up because itís been a few days and we are back home and the compressor still does not come on.
I donít think I need a whole new AC unit, Iím hoping at the very maximum I need a new compressor but I am hoping at the least it is just my thermostat control. But I do not know a lot about all of the workings in this air-conditioner.
Can't get just a compressor for an RV unit. You can replace contactors and fan motors but that's about it.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

Start capacitor could be bad, Easy repair
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #8
Jukebox

Does anyone have pictures of what the start capacitors look like? Even though it sounds like a simple fix since the unit is original in a 2008 toy hauler it would probably be more cost-effective to just replace the whole unit.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

Start capacitors come in various sizes and styles. Attached are 3 designs you will most likely see in RV air conditioners.

Also, here are some YouTube videos showing how to test them. The first thing you want to do is look for loose/missing terminals and examine the capacitor casing over for bulging, cracks or leakage.

How To Safely Discharge Your Air Conditioner Run Capacitor: https://youtu.be/ZTQi5rTJIw8?list=PLn...

How To Make Your Own Capacitor Discharge Tool: https://youtu.be/pVIV905qby0?list=PLn...

Start Run Capacitor Testing Using A Cheap Meter DIY (HVAC/Stereo/Microwave/Electronics) Service

AC Fan/Compressor Not Working - How To Test /Repair Broken HVAC Run Start Capacitor Air Condition HD: https://youtu.be/19A9lvQ6lIA?list=PLn...
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Ours was a 13.5k btu Dometic AC. Sorry I don't remember where I ordered it but I do remember it was necessary to remove the old part first, label the wiring, and then compare part numbers and make sure I was ordering the right one.
The old capacitor looked bad and corroded. The symptoms were just as you described. Fan runs fine but the compressor would never run. I could hear the "click" when rotating the temperature knob slowly back and forth but that's all.
A new start capacitor fixed it and cost about $30. Clean the other electrical connectors while the AC cover is off and also clean out any debris, mud daubers etc.

I mention mud daubers because the following year the fan would not run on the same AC unit. It would hum but not spin. I removed the trim panels inside the camper, removed the screws holding the control box in place until I could reach my hand up into the blower passage. I was able to move the fan with my hand and some chunks of mud fell out. They were enough to keep the fan from turning. Once I cleaned out all I could find the fan ran just fine.

Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote