Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Question Outdoor Speaker Problem

I have a 2010 Sandstrom 263 which we purchased in February of 2010. We just got back from a weekend trip where we noticed one of our outdoor speakers is not working. The trailer is stocked with Clarion audio equipment. I have check the stereo setting as far as balance, fade, etc... Has anyone else had this issue and/or give me any advise to start with?? I still have a little left of the 1 year warranty but if this is a fairly easy fix I would rather not tow my rig back to the dealer.
Spader73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
CampeRooo

I would start with the two easiest places to look first: 1) Remove the head unit from the inside wall and check the wire connections in the back of the unit. 2) Remove the speaker from the outside wall and check the connection there. Most of the time, the problem will be with one of those two areas and is fairly easy to fix. The problem gets worse if it is neither of the two locations and it turns out to be a break in the line somewhere in between...which could be anywhere. So hopefully it's one of the first two. Good luck!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

I had that same problem with my trailer. I took it to the dealers and they said I had no output to the speaker from the head unit. Could be your problem.
After that I switched speakers outside to be sure it wasn't the speaker that was bad.
Didn't work.
After that I started tracing the wire that ran overhead down behind the microwave, (which I removed) to see if it was pinched, (which it wasn't there) then I removed an outlet under the upper cabinet to see the wire coming from behind the microwave to the speaker, which I couldn't move. So I lightly tugged back and forth from the back of the microwave to the outlet, till it broke free. Funny thing, it worked and has worked ever since!
Hopefully you won't have to do that! Good luck and let us know.
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Should be under warranty, I would bring it in.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When you pull the speaker, don't just look at it and put it back. Check it with an ohmmeter, should be anywhere from 2~8 ohm neighborhood. Anything more, and you have a bad speaker.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

Good News.. I opened up the speaker cover and it is only a short in the connector. Couple of wiggles and the speaker starter working so I replaced the connector and all is good. Thanks for Everyones advice... Sorry for the delay in updating
Spader73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

yay for easy fixes!